i3eezy

Re: tires prone to puncture?

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:11 pm

Used to puncture my runflats in my 550i all the time, but realized it's mostly because I was driving in median dividers to make left turns, driving through heavy road construction areas, or even last minute lane changes on highways through clear divider spaces. Anywhere where tires don't usually travel and nails or anything sharp can accumulate, you should be very careful. Might lessen the chance of tire puncture.

With the i3, I've avoided making left turns through median dividers, i'm a safer driver in my REX so I'm not making aggressive freeways changes, etc and haven't had an issue. 10k miles so far.

jadnashuanh

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:34 pm

FWIW, with the tires covering less width, you'd miss more nails and crud in the roadway making them less susceptible to being punctured than a much wider performance tire!
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

HFLagos

Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:32 am

Just posted in main forum about this. Our i3 had a bad puncture recently, hole in side of tyre (wife kindly clipped the kerb). Car was put on truck to be taken home and the recovery guys said they were pretty familiar with recovering the i3 by now. Either someone having an electrical issue or a tyre issue.

BMW dealer wouldn't budge from £223 for a rear tyre, available online from the usual UK tyre retailers for about 50% of that! Had all 4 tyres replaced in the end by Event Tyres as we'd reached 26k miles and I thought it was about time. (Tread depth still adequate though)

So £450'ish all in vs. £850-900 from BMW dealer.......
BMW i3
BMW M3 CSL

muddtt

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Less than 5 days old. Fortunately America's Tire patched it for me for free.

Image.jpg https://www.flickr.com/photos/99160461@N07/

ciendolor

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:29 pm

Four tires in a single year, more than in any other car I've owned. These tires are flaky and useless.

jadnashuanh

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:33 pm

I don't really understand...a nail in the tread will cause any tire to go flat. It's luck of the draw. On one of my older cars, I got two flats in the same day...a bolt in one, and a nail in another on the other side. It's been years since I had a failure. I do not believe it is the tire.
Jim DeBruycker

gt1

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:17 am

I also had a puncture before the car hit 4000 miles. Finally got to use the Stop & Go kit http://amzn.to/2fjlTKI I bought for my motorcycle. It is more expensive than the regular kits with string plugs, but works so much better and cleaner. I was able to complete the repair without taking the wheel off.
One question: I didn't play with the included compressor that much, can it be used just to inflate the tire without the tank with the sealer?

Schnort

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:03 am

gt1 wrote:One question: I didn't play with the included compressor that much, can it be used just to inflate the tire without the tank with the sealer?

I thought all I got was a tank with sealer (no compressor).

On a related note, I got a low tire warning on all my tires a few days ago. I assumed it was temperature related, so I went and topped up all the tires. It turns out the caps that came with the car need to be super tight, or they trigger the valve to leak. Or, more accurately, they trigger the valve to leak when they're finger tight, and if you don't really tighten them down, the air will leak out. I didn't notice that and ended up with a flat overnight.

No big deal, but it's an amazingly horrible design. Took the caps off it came with and threw them away and went with plain black ones. I'm not sure if it was the dealer that gave them to me or if it was factory original.

Anyways, I thought I'd share.

jadnashuanh

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:26 am

The primary seal is actually the cap - the air valve is the secondary one. Cheap caps do not have an o-ring or other very flexible gasket in them, so they need to be tight. I've not had that problem with my OEM ones. What you do not want on any tire stem with TPMS (metal) valve stems is to use a metal cap, but not all caps have a good gasket in them, or it could have some dirt or other debris on them, which can affect their ability to seal. A metal cap on a metal stem will often corrode, and you can't get it off, or if you do, the threads become damaged.

Not all countries use the active TPMS and come with a version that relies on the ABS sensor - a low tire will have a smaller effective diameter because it becomes distorted, and that is what triggers the sensor.

It's a good idea to reset the TPMS once you've adjusted the air pressure to the desired level...it looks for a variation from that, and if that's not set, it won't register properly. I've found that the readout on one of mine is off a little from my digital gauge, but the other three are right on, so I do not believe it is the gauge but is the TPMS.
Jim DeBruycker

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”