Failed Charge Regulation Module

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noakey

After a really professional delivery and 2 weeks of awesome trouble free motoring covering 1200 miles my i3 got a little upset. I plugged it into my 7Kw charger, and the i3 made a wooshing noise and tripped the charger breaker. This was followed by an awful electrical smell.

I called i3 assist immediately, and they organised the car be collected at 8am the next morning, and even offered a taxi to a morning appointment as the hire car replacement couln't arrive till the afternoon. Next morning my dear i3 was collected, and we had a nice 3 series auto in replacement.

My workshop quickly identified the failed unit, and was initially told it would be 10 days for a replacement part to arrive, however 5 days later a surprise call from the workshop saying my car was ready...

Unfortunately all was not well as the car would only charge at 3.5Kw, I found out while topping up for an onward journey which we had to abandon having not achieved enough charge for the planned trip. The night charge was also only at 3.5kw, So on the sunday I called i3 assist again. A hire car was delivered on the sunday, and the i3 collected on Monday 8.30am.

Just one point, the recovery truck drivers, on both occasions had no idea how to drive the i3. I had to drive it on the truck the first time, and my wife the second time.

It turns out my local workshop did not have access to a 7Kw charger, so they used a local waitrose, and had to borrow my cable (they are since having a unit installed).

5 days later later on Friday afternoon they have discovered the problem, in that the new regulator was still in 'assembly' mode, and not in 'operational mode'. They needed to finish their testing before i3 can come home, so I have to wait until Monday.

It was unfortunate about the module failure, but bmw have be awesome throughout with daily updates from the workshop (including pics), and regular calls from the sales dealership wanting to stay in touch with the problem. The support has been second to none.

I look forward to our i3 coming home on Monday.

Back