jtoast

How many have had the drive train malfunction error?

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:49 am

I would like to get an idea of how prevalent the drive train malfunction error is. I personally have had it twice so far and my Rex has less than 1,000 miles on it. The first time they replaced the 12v battery and they are not sure what they are going to do this time. So far my car has been in the shop for 14 of the 23 days that I have owned it and it will be at least another week before I get it back.

If you haven't had the error, please ignore this post. I don't care if you think it will be fixed in a future update. All I'm looking for is a basic idea of how widespread the problem is.

If you have had the issue, please post how many times, what they did to fix it, how long it took to fix, and about how many miles you had on the car.

FrancisJeffries

Re: How many have had the drive train malfunction error?

Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:29 am

I had the issue once, on the first proper journey! It said it was OK to continue, but take it into service ASAP. A small orange warning symbol came on in the bottom left of the screen for the rest of the 75-mile trip. Next start-up, it was gone.
I rang the salesman, and he said new cars often come up with this, and it usually goes away.

edit:
...But, on a 300-mile trip to the Lake District, Rex-ing all the way, it came on again. And stayed on overnight, but then cleared. I took it into Lloyds BMW in Carlisle, and they took very detailed notes of its comings and goings to send back to BMW. (They also showed me the records of every 6 minutes' motoring :o )
I'm going to take it to the agents I bought it from ASAP to see if they can clear the fault.
(Had the car a week, and already got 900+ miles on the clock! It's even better than I dared hope :D . A full report on Rex ranges elsewhere.)
Last edited by FrancisJeffries on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noteworthy cars I've owned previously: Lancia Aprilia ... 20kWh i3 Rex.

mrsmith

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:19 pm

Nope, never. No problems at all since delivery.
Ordered ZI3A: BEV i3, 8th Jan - Collected 24th July 14 - United Kingdom

BHGI Neutronic interior, B74 Arravani Grey, ZNP Media pack (for £200), ZWT Winter pack, 4T9 Heat pump, 674 Karman Kardon, 4U7 DC charge, 420 Tinted glass, 2G6 429 alloys.

MikeS

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:53 am

Not had it and my dealer (Brighton UK - Chandlers) say they have had zero reports on the 19 they have sold.
BMW 3 Series 2005 - Aug 2014
BMW Z4 35i 2009 - Mar 2014
BMW X1 Mar 14
BMW i3 Sep 14

jackt

Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:22 am

Had it once, when running rex for extended period without properly functioning air-con so battery was getting warm.

After having firmware update and aircon coolant pressure checked all has been ok. Took a few days, 1 day for full firmware update and a couple to diagnose the aircon problem, the mothership was undecided as to whether the unit was faulty or just running at wrong pressure so require some more investigation.

Has not reoccurred in over 2000miles.
i3 Rex - 25 July 14 - ( Standard Interior -Arravani Grey, Pro Nav + Enhanced BT, HK Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack )
Outlander PHEV GX4HS - 1 Sept 14

SanSerif

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:26 am

Yes. Had it twice at about 2000 miles. In each case it disappeared and there were no residual warnings. I may be wrong but I think both cases were when the REx was running.

No recurrences. But the catastrophic failure of *everything* at around 6000 miles may have been related. Who knows.

Falcon

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:17 pm

Mine malfunctioned two days ago. Dealer tried to charge 12v but failed now want to replace battery. I asked what caused it to drain, but they do not know.

jtoast

Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:12 am

Falcon,

Thats the situation I'm in except it has now happened twice. They still have no idea whats wrong with mine.

jadnashuanh

Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:39 pm

I'm pretty sure that the i3's accessory plugs are not switched. This is both a benefit and a problem. Even a phone charger left plugged in, even if not charging the phone, draws some current. To protect your i3's 12vdc battery, unplug anything when you aren't actually using it. Since the 12vdc battery isn't all that large, even a small drain over time can be problematic.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Chrisn

Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:40 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:I'm pretty sure that the i3's accessory plugs are not switched.

FYI, the one under the center dash is switched for sure. I have my Valentine One plugged in there and it turns on/off with the car. It goes on during pre conditioning too.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”