Jeremy

Re: How many have had the drive train malfunction error?

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:02 pm

After having a single spurious "Drivetrain - do not switch off - you will be unable to restart" warning a couple of weeks ago (reported on another thread), I've done another couple of 100 miles - but now I'm getting "Drivetrain - check soon" alerts every single time I switch on, even on pure electric use.

Anyone else had it this frequently?

FrancisJeffries

Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:37 am

We had this "drivetrain - continue but get it checked" problem when the car was new and we used the Rex. The fault came and went, but they had the car in and changed "The high-voltage cable".
Now, a year later, the fault's back. It asserts only after longish runs on Rex, but clears only after several battery-only journeys. It's booked in for a week :o for them to look into it.
Maybe I'll get a software update thrown in.
Noteworthy cars I've owned previously: Lancia Aprilia ... 20kWh i3 Rex.

didja

Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Greatwhite wrote:Well 46 days woefully beaten to death by consistent ineptitude BMW has really made me feel no loyalty as a first time buyer in this brand and resolving my Lemon is just a nightmare, not a good start and woefully inefficient customer support. Its great when your contact is asking you to hang in while they get resolution and will have it for you tomorrow and then goes on vacation and not bother to tell me!

Just read through this thread- any resolution to your sage from last year Greatwhite?

eamdude

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:40 am

My i3 has now been in service for almost 10 weeks. I had the drive-train warning with "you can continue driving" - and in the end left it at the dealers to have them check everything out. I got the car back after they upgraded some software but I didnt even get home, after only a few km's there was a "thunk" in the back of the car and it halted immediately with some nasty "drive train" error messages on the screen. After this moment the car was alive for about 17 minutes and then it was completely dead, no warning lights and I could not open trunk - not anything.

It was shipped back to the dealer and since then they've had it - BMW Assist here in Sweden gave me a slightly damaged Skoda as a loaner (I'm especially not that keen on not being able to close the inner-roof console that always hangs down, its sharp edges and something hitting the car from the side would not be fun).

They claim to have BMW Germany involved but they seem to replace a single part at a time, before ordering the next, so progress is really-really slow. There is also talk of some software bug.

The i3 is a very-very nice car as long as it works - but the lack of support makes it a bad deal here in Sweden.

I33t

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:56 pm

10 weeks with no result?

That sounds a bit painful. How old is the car and did you buy it new? I'd be standing outside the dealer demanding a replacement if it were new, and I wouldn't accept a damaged Skoda as a loan vehicle. What are they thinking?
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.

frugger

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:23 pm

I've got the same drive train issue with my i3. Went to out to drive it after charging overnight - turned it on, put it in drive, heard a pop or clunk from the rear and then got the drive train error. Couldn't even put the car in neutral for towing - BMW roadside had to send a tow truck with skates to prop up the back end and push it out of my garage. It's been at the dealer almost 2 weeks now - the local mechanics have had calls with BMW back in Germany and they can't seem to figure out what the problem is. Funny thing is they are working on the car in the parking lot since they can't get it into neutral to move it. Glad I leased this thing and only have 1 year left on my two year lease. Was thinking I'd probably buy it once the lease it over, but not now (this is the 5th time it's been at the dealer for various problems). I think I see a used Tesla in my future.

Sparky

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:14 pm

frugger wrote:I've got the same drive train issue with my i3. Went to out to drive it after charging overnight - turned it on, put it in drive, heard a pop or clunk from the rear and then got the drive train error. Couldn't even put the car in neutral for towing - BMW roadside had to send a tow truck with skates to prop up the back end and push it out of my garage. It's been at the dealer almost 2 weeks now - the local mechanics have had calls with BMW back in Germany and they can't seem to figure out what the problem is. Funny thing is they are working on the car in the parking lot since they can't get it into neutral to move it. Glad I leased this thing and only have 1 year left on my two year lease. Was thinking I'd probably buy it once the lease it over, but not now (this is the 5th time it's been at the dealer for various problems). I think I see a used Tesla in my future.

Checkout my thread here:
viewtopic.php?t=3083

FrancisJeffries

Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:26 am

When I had the fault last May, the garage wanted the car for a week to try and make the fault re-occur (it had vanished again before I got the car to them. I said "no thanks - I'll keep the car and bring it back when the fault returns."

It came back mid-December (after using the Rex for a long journey). I booked the car in again, and this time they told me Munich told them to change the Rex generator. :o They said there was "condensation in the generator from manufacture". It'd take 6-8 weeks to come from Germany, so I've got the car back - without the drivetrain error! :D
Noteworthy cars I've owned previously: Lancia Aprilia ... 20kWh i3 Rex.

frugger

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:29 am

My dealer is installing a new battery pack. $16k item - glad this thing is under warranty. I have no faith this is going to actually fix the issue - but it's adding out of service days to my lemon law threshold.

DeafSoundGuy

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:45 am

Hello all, been off the i3 forums for awhile using my little time I've had hanging out on the Jag F-Pace forum (uh, getting a F-Pace). It's nice to come back and see so much useful information regarding so many things.

Yes, I'm back because I too got my first "Drivetrain malfunction but you can still drive the car" notice. So after reading so much here, I'm going to make an educated guess that it is just common sense and condensation as the culprit, at least for me.

I rarely use the Rex, normally less than 20 minutes when it does come on. My i3 has been problem free except for the preconfiguring app never working. I've only used my Rex for more then 20 miles one time I think, went about 90 miles and in around 60 to 70 degree weather. No problems. So here a few days ago, we decided to go to the beach and it was a 140 mile trip. Cold weather and heater use made me get about 55 miles of electric. Went Rex the rest of the way. Got there no problem. We came back a few days later. Same thing, about 55 miles back, the Rex kicked in. Went about 70 miles and then got the Drivetrain malfunction notice driving down the freeway. It was raining. In fact the weather was the kind of day when it fogs up inside your car in a hurry. You can't leave the fan off for more than a minute before it starts to fog up. Error stayed there for the next 24 hrs, we gave it a full charge and it spent it's time in our garage. After 24 hrs it went away, and hasn't been back.

So after reading the posts, it sure seems to me like a common sense issue. You have a Rex generating heat, it's wet out or very moist air outside. The steam created by the Rex in such a small little place forces condensation to appear in places that it shouldn't. Electronics are very touchy when it comes to moisture. It seems like if this is the problem, delicate electronics shouldn't be anywhere near the Rex. Condensation happened, giving an error, it dried up, things are cool. at least this is what it sounds like what happened to me.

I've been around long enough to see dealers replacing tons of things that didn't need replacing so it scares me when I read some of these posts with guys having their cars in for weeks and dealers replacing other items because of ineptitude. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”