SugarMan1

Re: How many have had the drive train malfunction error?

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:39 pm

Add me to the list. I was not in rex mode - still had 15 miles or so left on electric. Suddenly there was a pop, then the car died. And I mean on a curvy, two-lane road. Not even time to pull off to the side, the car was locked in park. I tried shutting down and turning on multiple times to no avail - always got the Drivetrain malfunction error. Those of you who got that message and were still able to drive were lucky. I had to wait over 2 hours for a flatbed who then winched the car up with the back wheels locked. Apparently there is no simple way to get it into neutral. I asked the dealer how they got it off the flatbed and they said they used soapy water to help slide it off! Got a call today saying that they're going to replace the KLE unit because the pop I heard was the cable disconnecting. Why did the cable disconnect? My wife said it's because I probably didn't pay my cable bill (yuck). In any case they said it would be another few days before it arrived and then they'd need more days to install and test. Fine, I have a nice X1 in the meantime which I'm growing quite fond of. I can't help wondering if the new KLE unit will be a slower charging one. But my real fear is that if this sort of thing happens on the highway, and my car comes to as quick a stop as it did this last time, it could result in a catastrophic accident. Once this is all over will report to NHTSBA.

PipPip

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:32 pm

Did my longest drive today (100 miles each way) and had to use Rex a lot on the way back. Add me to the list, I have the check drivetrain message sitting on my dash. I can continue using the car but need it checked "soon" apparently.

alohart

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:47 pm

How many months have REx owners been reporting check engine lights? Yet they are still occurring and inconveniencing REx owners, many of whom might not know that these check engine lights are frequently due to non-critical problems. Yet BMW has done nothing proactive to fix these problems before they occur. In fact, do we even know whether BMW knows how to fix these problems?

This is our first BMW car. I drove a 1967 BMW R69S motorcycle for 17 years and never had to interact with BMW. I am not impressed by the customer service and technical capabilities of today's BMW AG.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Jeffj

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:17 am

I agree with Art on BMW responsiveness. My local dealer has been great in terms of customer service and I'm driving an i3 loaner that is virtually the same as my car, but its been in the shop since Labor Day with an ETA of "later this week". Apparently the EME failed and it's taken over 2 weeks to get a new EME delivered (it hadn't arrived as of Monday evening). The only bright point in this is that BMW decided that there was a possibility that the batteries had been compromised, so they've installed a complete new set of batteries (which took 10 days to arrive at dealership).

I've never had any other car take nearly 3 weeks for a mechanical repair. I think the longest I've ever had a car in the shop (not counting accidents and body work) is 2.5 days.

Sparky

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:23 am

Same thing happened to me Jeff. My parts arrived in one week. They may be changing the design of the EME and that's why there are so few parts. That's just a guess.

NHi3REx

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:50 am

Happened to me about two weeks ago on a 120mi return trip after significant Rex run time, but the message literally popped up as soon as I pulled into my driveway. And, the next time I drove the car it was gone and I made the same 240mi round trip (120mi each way of different days starting with a full charge) the following week without it coming back (fingers crossed).

drhardee

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:01 am

My EME failed, but my dealer managed to get another one over-nighted to Columbia, SC. It still took them the better part of a week to get it installed and reprogrammed. 'Twas a $6,420.36 warranty repair that I hope sticks! I posted about it recently in the Main forum.
2014 BMW i-3 REX Mega
Solar Orange w/RTTI, parking + safety
no heated seats, no H-K radio, no sunroof

WoodlandHills

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:02 am

drhardee wrote:My EME failed, but my dealer managed to get another one over-nighted to Columbia, SC. It still took them the better part of a week to get it installed and reprogrammed. 'Twas a $6,420.36 warranty repair that I hope sticks! I posted about it recently in the Main forum.

It is interesting that your dealer was able to acquire the part overnight while others have reported waits of over a week. That implies that the others could have done so as well had they wished to give the same level of customer service. Kudos to your dealer!
Clipper Creek HCS-40P 32a EVSE
2014 REx Arravani Grey Giga all options
2008 Infiniti EX35
2008 smart ForTwo Cabriolet
2000 F-250 Powerstroke
2006 Westfield eleven
1984 Laverda RGS-1000

jadnashuanh

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:48 pm

Parts are stocked based on historical needs and an assessment of predicted failure rates with most companies...having lots of stock sitting around for something that rarely or isn't expected to fail on more than x out of y units is not common. In the rare (hopefully) situation when failures occur faster than expected, or they get an unusual grouping, the part needed just hasn't been replenished yet, it can take awhile to get one.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

WoodlandHills

Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:47 am

That is all true, but it still does not explain why one dealer can get the parts overnight while others wait a week or more. If the part is available to one it is available to all, the others just choose not spend the money for express delivery. In other words, some dealers care about customer service and go the "extra mile" and others do not.
Clipper Creek HCS-40P 32a EVSE
2014 REx Arravani Grey Giga all options
2008 Infiniti EX35
2008 smart ForTwo Cabriolet
2000 F-250 Powerstroke
2006 Westfield eleven
1984 Laverda RGS-1000

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”