High Frequency Noise from Display Screen(s)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmersman

Hello All,

Happy new i3 owner here, since late June 2015.

I couldn't find any information on this "problem" anywhere, so I will ask. Has anyone else noticed a high-pitched frequency coming from what I think is one of the two display screens when operating? It's just got that electronic high frequency that is only mostly noticeable at slower speeds <25mph.

You're sure you're not hearing the motor? It's a high pitched sound which may be masked at higher speeds by road/wind noise. I notice it more when the rear seats are down.

No, I don't think it's the motor. It's a constant high frequency that I can target near the center display. It's not loud, but reminiscent of when you would first turn on a tube television. That's the only thing I can compare it to.

tmersman said:
No, I don't think it's the motor. It's a constant high frequency that I can target near the center display. It's not loud, but reminiscent of when you would first turn on a tube television. That's the only thing I can compare it to.

That sounds like a power module that is in oscillation. It may be harmless or it may fail eventually.

Hi. As an electronics engineer I am 100% confident it's the inverter unit inside the display for the back lighting.
Possible to get the dealer to exchange the display under warranty. It may be the led driver if backlight is led instead of flouresent backlight.

Back