stumbledotcom

Re: intermittent loss of heat...??

Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:53 pm

I suspect you all are experiencing a feature, not a fault. When the i3 launched, I recall BMW's press materials calling out the automatic bi-level climate control. Once the set temperature is reached, the system routes cool air to the dash vents and warm to the floor. The idea being that cooler air in your face keeps you alert while your feet stay warm. If you precondition, the cabin will be at your set temperature when you start off so it's logical that the automatic bi-level feature would come into play immediately. Personally I don't bother with preconditioning since I drive such short distances. I have noted that when temperatures are colder, I get warm air from the dash vents initially then the system will switch to cool. If you don't like the effect, you can switch to manual and force the system to send air only to the floor vents.

55jwb

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:09 am

next time it happens I will check the airflow coming out of the lower vents then... sounds very plausible..

many thanks

Jason
2015 13 Rex...

RodHam

Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:07 pm

Well, this has just happened to me today on the way home from work. No heat, thank whomever, we had a heat wave of -1 but I was still cold. If it had been any other day of -20 I'd have froze.

Just FYI, I always precondition based on departure time and it has always given me a warm cabin with heating all the way home. But this afternoon the departure temp never happened.
Rodney
2015 i3 BEV Lodge with winter tire kit. Juicebox Pro 40a EVSE
2005 Honda S2000
1976 GMC Palm Beach motorhome

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”