Top half of my ePower semi-circle has gone dark; ltd accel

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1096

The top half of my ePower-draw indicator (semi-circle below speedometer) has gone dark and my acceleration has been limited. At first I thought this might be due to our below-zero weather, but it has not rebounded. I'm going to see how it looks tomorrow when temps moderate again and call dealer if it reains half dark. Anyone else had this?

I use battery and compartment pre-conditioning and my Range has not changed (in 50s for cold weather) and car charges normally.

This is normally due to temperature - it takes a while for the battery to warm up even after the ambient temps increase.

Preconditioning will help prevent this being an issue.

They might have made minor revisions to the power limiting functionality, but nothing significant. The behavior you're seeing on the instrument cluster has been in place since the early software versions.

Perhaps your parking situation has changed?

I've had the car limit power after sitting outside in temps as high as ~30F.

When my battery temperature shows lower than -15 Celsius, the indicator shows a reduce bar on the ePower side of the GOM. And the car really behaves lacklusterly.
Preconditioning with a minimum of a Level2 30A evse preps the battery to +10c and performance is excellent at even -27c.

Back