Charge cable not locking into the car giving red flashing light

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mito

Tried to charge the car only to find that when the charge cable is inserted into that car the retention mechanism just constantly makes repeated servo noises and then the flashing red light illuminates. Have checked the auxiliary battery charge has enough voltage to adequately throw the servo. The actual cable works ok in another car. Thinking it may be a stuck mechanism as it was last opened by the blue emergency pull cable. I assume that a successful latching of the mechanism is required before charging can commence...

Unfortunately, the i3 charging port locking mechanism seems to have caused many owners problems. Some have been fixed by enlarging the hole through which the locking pin moves. But others have required a new (expensive) charging port. Hopefully, your i3 is still under warranty.

Problem solved
It was the blue emergency release cable still being under tension inside the wheel arch despite the end pull button seeming like its loose.
Solution
Remove wheel arch liner and release cable tension caused due to friction between blue cable and surrounding items ( note this is not a fault or due to dirt it is simply the plastic cord will bind upon other plastic components particularly when going round corners inside the wheel arch )
Warning
This area is within the high voltage area and by removing the complete wheel arch liner you expose the Orange high voltage wires from the charging port to the battery. Isolate high voltage components by pulling orange clip within the front compartment first or get trained personnel to carry this out instead.
It may be possible to do by removing the 4x 8mm screws closest to the front lower wheel arch to avoid exposing high voltage wires.
Conclusion
This fault is caused by poor design and cost cutting using what is basically a plastic string to do what a sheathed Bowden cable should do. Truly shoddy design and cheap materials for which BMW should be thoroughly ashamed.

The word I got, and I'm pretty sure this isn't official, is that the emergency release is just that, should be reliable for one emergency release. ANy more, may cause issues. Not saying I agree with the prospect. I have had to use mine a couple of times, and they did need to replace the cord once under warranty.

Hello, I've had My i3 for à little more than 3 years now, and also seen this issue. Another problem I got after this was that I wasn't able to disconnect the charging cable. Very annoying.

But I think both these problems are related. I think it actually is a mechanical issue that the locking pin isn't going up and down smoothly.

When it doesn't go down you get the red blinking. And when it doesn't go up you can't disconnect your charging cable.

Some grease spray (D-40 or 556) seemed to have solved my problem for now.

Back