ZeroEmissionz

i3 Accident Collision :(

Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 pm

Hi guys my car has been in an accident and a safety feature of the i3 is that when the pretensioner or airbags are set off they automatically set of a switch that disconnects the 60ah battery from the whole system for safety reasons, however now the repair has been done and my body panel repair shop wants to know how do we re-activate the system (return the switch to on position) anyone who has the location or the know how please help thanks guys

alohart

Re: i3 Accident Collision :(

Fri May 12, 2017 12:53 am

Hopefully, someone with actual experience and knowledge will respond. My sense from reading accounts of such repairs is that this safety switch is inside the battery pack compartment which means that the battery pack must be dropped from the underside of the car to access this switch. I.e.. a BMW dealer is the proper place to perform this repair, not a body shop.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

rtanov

Fri May 12, 2017 6:48 am

There is a a high voltage connector referenced from page #4 on in this document: https://cdn.jack.sh/2014/08/06_I01-High-voltage-Components.pdf

Edit: The Safety Systems doc also talks about safety battery terminal (pages #7 & 29), that might be more relevant: https://cdn.jack.sh/2014/08/10_I01-Passive-Safety-System.pdf
Last edited by rtanov on Fri May 12, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 BMW i3 REx
2014 BMW i3 BEV - retired

jadnashuanh

Fri May 12, 2017 11:43 am

On some other BMWs, that emergency disconnect is triggered by an explosive charge. Not clear how the i3 does its disconnect.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

ZeroEmissionz

Sat May 13, 2017 4:45 am

WOW amazing how much you guys know about these cars, I called head office in Australia and many official dealers of BMW they all put me on hold trying to get any answers , they all came back with "This is too new a car for us to know" $550 for a certified technician to attend my place and inspect if it is safe enough to be towed into there workshop!

ZeroEmissionz

Sat May 13, 2017 4:46 am

jadnashuanh wrote:On some other BMWs, that emergency disconnect is triggered by an explosive charge. Not clear how the i3 does its disconnect.

Correct it works on Pyrotechnics charges

ZeroEmissionz

Sat May 13, 2017 4:50 am

alohart wrote:Hopefully, someone with actual experience and knowledge will respond. My sense from reading accounts of such repairs is that this safety switch is inside the battery pack compartment which means that the battery pack must be dropped from the underside of the car to access this switch. I.e.. a BMW dealer is the proper place to perform this repair, not a body shop.

According to the technical information "RTANOV" posted above in the links the actual switch is located on the auxiliary battery pg 29 of the second link , but then this isn't the HV (High Voltage) battery, why would it show just a standard battery but refer to a HV?

I completely agree , but not sure if the switch got activated in the collision. The dash lights up, so does the computers etc. But I thought they would of worked of the Auxillary battery in the front hood, I guess my next question is how do I know if it is disconnected, there is also a orange plug/switch near the bottle in the front hood that can be put into a "off" position that also disconnects the HV (high Voltage) battery

ZeroEmissionz

Sat May 13, 2017 6:15 am

Thanks heaps RTANOV legend! where did you get this information from?

The car has the drivers side seat belt pre tensioner locked ( detonated pyrotechnics to lock the belt to secure passenger) so according to the technical articles you linked , once the seatbelt is replaced with a new one and the system fault error is cleared with a diagnostic tool the vehicle the gear selector then can select D and R, at the moment it is stuck in N and doesn't want to go into anything else (I'm assuming a safety feature in case your foot is stuck on the pedal etc)

WOW and BMW techs literally didnt know! hopeless or they were just trying to push me to use there services. But by the sounds of it most of them didnt know and referred me the head office who quoted me the $550 fee to send a tech out to just see if it is even safe enough to bring into the workshop. Then $187 hr , not including any parts or diagnosis. People like you are so valuable to people who dont wanna pay the stealer ships!

Thanks again! I am also thinking of buying my own diagnostic tool for BMW i3 to clear the SRS and Crash fault codes , if I took the car into the dealership in this state I'm pretty sure they will void any warranty remaining so ill clear it up before I take it in for any future services.

alohart

Sat May 13, 2017 1:44 pm

ZeroEmissionz wrote:According to the technical information "RTANOV" posted above in the links the actual switch is located on the auxiliary battery pg 29 of the second link , but then this isn't the HV (High Voltage) battery, why would it show just a standard battery but refer to a HV?

My interpretation is that in a significant collision, this safety disconnect on the positive terminal of the 12V battery interrupts the +12V power to the high voltage system. Without the +12V power, the high voltage system immediately shuts down.

ZeroEmissionz wrote:I completely agree , but not sure if the switch got activated in the collision.

If the high voltage system has been disabled due to a collision, 12V accessories might continue to function but you would not be able to drive the car and would almost certain have error messages displayed.

ZeroEmissionz wrote:The dash lights up, so does the computers etc. But I thought they would of worked of the Auxillary battery in the front hood,

They do work off the 12V battery, but power to the 12V system isn't interrupted by the safety disconnect on the positive terminal of the 12V battery, so even if this disconnect has tripped, 12V accessories would continue to function.

ZeroEmissionz wrote:I guess my next question is how do I know if it is disconnected, there is also a orange plug/switch near the bottle in the front hood that can be put into a "off" position that also disconnects the HV (high Voltage) battery

I turn that orange switch off before I disconnect the 12V battery's negative cable when preparing our i3 for storage. This ensures that the high voltage system isn't unexpectedly shut down when the 12V battery is disconnected. This orange switch isn't part of the collision safety system.

I'm pretty certain that a safety box in the battery pack compartment can disconnect the battery pack in the event of a significant collision requiring the battery pack to be lowered, disassembled, and checked for damage. This safety box must be replaced if it has tripped.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Bawareca

Sun May 14, 2017 5:01 am

Everytime the seat belt tensioner is triggered, the SBT(Safety Battery Terminal- this is the positive battery pyro-disconnect) will be triggered too, and has to be replaced. The EME takes a signal from the SBT thru a 5A fuse. If 12V from the SBT is not present the high voltage contactors in the EME will stay open and no high voltage will be present in the system.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”