Crooked Reversing

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedNW

We have a 2014 i3 REX and we love it. We took delivery about three weeks ago. But for some strange reason, my wife and I both have problems aligning the car backing Into our carport, a parking space or parallel parking. We do not have the parking assist so no camera. We have never experienced this before, and I have driven hundreds of cars when I worked at a dealership and I rent cars almost every week. Has anyone else experienced this?

Here are my guesses:

The turning radius is so tight and steering so responsive that small corrections make a big difference
We are not used to the automatic parking assist mirror angle
The shape of the car is throwing us off?

I am sure the longer we have the car the problem will disappear (better already) but if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate your feedback.

My guess, the relatively small turning radius is probably what's your biggest problem. I have some physical limitations, and won't buy a car without the rear-view camera. In the USA, next model year (I think), it will be mandatory, not optional, so that gives you an idea of how that is regarded as a safety device. Practice makes perfect.

Yup, all of the above, especially the exaggerated wing mirrors tilt-down in reverse, most disorienting, wish it could be overridden.
Tight turning circle is great going forward, but a bit twitchy in reverse, amplified by the short wheel-base.
I too have working experience with reversing, with and without a trailer, and the i3 definitely poses a particular challenge.

i3an said:
Yup, all of the above, especially the exaggerated wing mirrors tilt-down in reverse, most disorienting, wish it could be overridden.
This behavior can be turned off by setting the mirror selection switch (normally used for adjusting the wing mirrors) to the passenger side. If it's set to the driver side, the passenger mirror will tilt down when reversing (Automatic Curb Monitor) and move out when turning right at slower speeds (automatic cornering adjustment). It's all described in the Owner's Manual.

Back