scraping noise from wheels

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sardoc

2014 i3 base, purchased 3 weeks ago from BMW dealer. I am noticing a slight scraping noise coming from the wheels/brakes. Is this normal? If not will this be fixed under warranty?

I do have this noise while the car is moving slowly.

It's very noticeable if you opened the windows and drive inside a parkade with strong echo.

Probably surface rust on rotors. Try driving fast and braking medium to hard a few times and that will help clean them. Should notice a reduction in noise. If not, get it checked out, but try this first. Common issue with regen braking.

That's what happened to me. They put the small wheels on the back, so I swapped them, not realizing the put the wrong tires on the wheels. There was rubbing and burning rubber smell! Fortunately, didn't drive too far before I realized what the problem was.

pesky said:
That's what happened to me. They put the small wheels on the back, so I swapped them, not realizing the put the wrong tires on the wheels. There was rubbing and burning rubber smell! Fortunately, didn't drive too far before I realized what the problem was.
My goal is to have a full-size spare. My current thinking is a 19" rim with the front tire can work both the front and rear ... taking care to avoid a lot of power.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

The 19" windmill wheels on the front are narrower than the back, so one of those, with the skinny tire, it can be used on the back too. It will be OK to drive 3 skinny and one proper rear for a short time, but get the damaged one fixed sooner than later.

Yes, if you really want to carry a spare...one from the front will work just fine on the rear. That's the 'standard' on the base version of the i3, and is the only set of winter tires/wheels that is available for the car (at least at this time). If you have the staggered setup, putting different sized ones on the rear could have handling issues if you were pushing things, but probably not for 'normal' driving.

Moei3

I purchased a 17inch wheel and tire(155/70/17) which just fits lying down in the back. A larger wheel
while not allow the rear hatch to close. I installed and ran this wheel on the front and on the back and drove
it as a test without problem. i got no warning signals of a low tire pressure. This will be used only to get me to a repair station
and save the cost of a new tire.

I'm actually going to order a "spare" wheel and tire but NOT lug it around. I'll just keep it in the garage in a sealed bag. That way, if I get a flat, instead of waiting for a local dealership to order a tire it's just a matter of sending someone to my house to snag the tire for me while I am safely pulled off the road.

Seems like a decent investment for piece of mind.

Back