Indicator lights won't go off.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember, if you have your fob with you, and you're close, it probably does not go off. Leave the fob about 30-40' away, and with the car locked, after about 10-12 minutes, most stuff turns off in the car.

Can you turn on the radio and if so, does it stay on when you open the door ?
If so, you aren't completely turning the car off.
To turn it completely off, push the start button and hold it down for about a second. Otherwise, it stays in "ready" mode which means the accessories will still work.
As Jim mentioned, it will eventually turn off after several minutes.

Ahh, 12 mins to power down, that is surprising -as is pressing the start button to "stop" the car.
Thanks Jim and Theo.

If you press the start/stop button a second time, or lock the car, it immediately goes to sleep. If you just press the start/stop button once, and do not lock it...it does not. This is, I think, so you can keep listening to the radio, or deal with things in I-drive, or finish up a phone call, but have much of the car off. Locking it means you don't expect to be doing anything inside of the car anymore.

jadnashuanh said:
If you press the start/stop button a second time, or lock the car, it immediately goes to sleep. .

If you're using the "second press" method, I think your foot has to be off the brake for the car to power down.

theothertom said:
If you're using the "second press" method, I think your foot has to be off the brake for the car to power down.
Correct. If the brake is depressed, the car returns to the ready state.

For what it's worth, the car communicates its status through the light surrounding the Start/Stop button. The light pulses dim orange after unlocking and opening a door or after switching off Ready. When the brake pedal is depressed, the light pulses bright orange.

Back