ilya335

Re: Unexpected, very powerful, acceleration surge BMW i3

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:44 pm

alohart wrote:
ilya335 wrote:Just ran across this thread after an unfortunate incident in a 2017 i3.

I believe the i3 stores a crash log so that BMW can review the last few moments prior to a collision. What did BMW tell you happened?

I currently don't have any more information as the incident just occurred. This is their 2nd BMW i3 and it only had 1800 miles on the ODO.

jadnashuanh

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:15 pm

Odds are, when they leaned forward to hit the button, they pressed the accelerator pedal. The odds of a mechanical failure are slim. Let us know if they are able to retrieve any info from the car. I see a couple of this type of accident reported on the news every week...not one of them has been a mechanical problem...all operator errors. This is the first i3 I've heard about that had that issue, though.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

ilya335

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:36 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:Odds are, when they leaned forward to hit the button, they pressed the accelerator pedal. The odds of a mechanical failure are slim. Let us know if they are able to retrieve any info from the car. I see a couple of this type of accident reported on the news every week...not one of them has been a mechanical problem...all operator errors. This is the first i3 I've heard about that had that issue, though.

I will keep this updated.

I would understand if the accelerator pedal was pressed accidentally and the car crashed into the gate. However, it went through the gate completely destroying it and travelled another 30ft with no signs of slowing down which would mean the driver would have to have kept the gas floored the entire time. The crash was very intense.

This was after a 30-45 min drive so weird that one would suddenly mess pedals up though things do happen. The driver has lived at the property for over 15 years and has daily driven over a dozen BMW's included M3's, X5M's etc. Also had a '15 i3 for the last two years so the driver is pretty used to the driving dynamics of the car.

Just want to let everyone to be careful as the 0-40mph and torque delivery of the car is very intense. It took out a 400lb metal gate no problem snapping/bending many attachment bars.

I'm just very thankful that they were able to walk away from this.

jadnashuanh

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:16 pm

The most common scenario is people think they've pressed on the brake pedal, but are on the accelerator, pressing harder to try to stop but the opposite occurs. The i3 can be a little unusual because it does not have the typical creep of an automatic transmission.
Jim DeBruycker

bwilson4web
Forum Supporter

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:00 am

Do not rule out driver side, floor carpet. This was a thing in the Toyota world after the Saylor crash:
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/ ... 29472.html

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

Mbkitt

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:27 pm

Hello,

I have had my car for about 3 weeks and experienced the sudden acceleration problem. I’m terrified of driving the car again if they don’t find the source. Is there anyone who can discuss this problem so I have an understanding of what needs to be done to make the car safe?
Best,
Melissa

jadnashuanh

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:11 pm

All EVs have maximum torque and thus acceleration from stop. The odds are the accelerator pedal was pressed. Unlike an ICE that most people have most of their driving experience on, an EV doesn't sound any different when you press the pedal, but it does take off MUCH faster when you do, especially if it is floored.
Jim DeBruycker

EVMan

Tue May 01, 2018 11:06 am

Just to add
When my car had a DSC traction unit failure , while driving, , the steering wheel and brake became heavy . ( It lost all its power stuff)
So that is as far as i came close to electronics failure

While i was at very low speed and I used muscle force to stop and could only take a slow turn. It may have been different with a person with less muscle force , needing more breaking urgency.

It was scary....
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

DKBG

Mon May 07, 2018 1:13 pm

The same thing has happened to me a few times. Most recently it cause a fender bender accident. The other times I was lucky not hit someone. It seems to happen in stop and go traffic travelling at slow speeds.
I have a 2015 i3 REX. I don't think everyone is just randomly hitting the wrong pedal after driving our i3's for years. I read an article about the regenerative braking turning off when you go over bumps (once this happened to me on a street with speed bumps). The traction control and stability systems think they are helping. So the car doesn't have the usual braking when releasing the "gas" pedal. I believe this must have happened to me.

Userbmwi3

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:08 am

I have been using a BMW i3 for a year and I write in this forum to describe an incident that has happened recently to me with this model in order to know if there are others users with similar incidents.
While driving at low speed to a parking slot:
1) after lifting the foot from the accelerator, in place of deceleration, the vehicle continues accelerating;
2) did not respond to the brake pedal, despite pressing repeatedly, hitting finally an obstacle
3) when turning the rear gear, without touching the acceleration pedal, the car unexpected accelerate and impact against another obstacle.
Please, if anyone has suffer a similar incident, please let me know.
If you are so kind, in your case, did you have an answer from BMW?
Thank you so much

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”