Leather trim shrinking on dashboard on 2014 Tera interior

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john41

I just noticed the leather trim on the dashboard, behind the steering wheel seems to be shrinking on my 2014 Tera interior i3, unveiling cardboard:

B173_EA99-_E321-4786-8_E67-8_AC6_F579_B491.jpg

Has anybody else seen this? What’s the likelihood it’ll be fixed under warranty?

Looks to me like the dash material "sunk" from its previous level. Probably due to some heavy stuff being placed on the dash.

The pic shows a light shadow on the leather where the dash used to be. Actually, if you look at the points where the leather trim meets the dash at the points closest to the steering wheel, you'll see the original level of the dash. That level should be the same throughout the entire assembly - at least it is on my 2017 REx. That's why I think instead of the leather shrinking, it's the dash that sunk.

Another possibility is that maybe you've had some work done that required removing the dash and it wasn't re-seated properly.

Have you treated all of your leather regularly ? This area and the other one to the left behind the center display , would get the a lot of direct sunlight . It's my understanding that leather will shrink as it dries . Perhaps this is a warning to all of us regarding care for our cars .

Back