squeaky suspension

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moei3

i have a 2017 REX in Cost Rica with 7500 Kms.
At 4500kms the left front suspension started making a squeaking noise when going over a speed bump. I sounds like a dry rubber sound
like maybe the seal on the shock absorber shaft,
I have brought it in twice. The first time they said that they checked and tightened the suspension. 2 days lost ,still the same.
We left the country for 24 days on August 17 and left it with them explaining what was done the first time with no improvement.
I Emailed them during the trip and they said that it was ready. I picked it up on the 13th of September and it squeaked going over the first speed bump. There are 16 speed bumps between my home and the golf course where i play 3 days a week.
Driving a totally quiet car that squeaks is like jab with a needle because my most important wish has always been having a car that was as quiet as possible and at 69 years of age i had found the best there is, until now.
I can drive on either the left or right side of the road to have either wheel pass over the speed bump and the noise comes from the left side only. If i repeatedly go over a bump the noise gets louder as if the friction creates heat thus increasing the vibration .

Anybody come across the same situation.
Thanks for your input

Moe

If you haven't done so already, have the service tech ride with you over a speed bump. Then tell them to fix it which should include a test drive to make sure.

bwilson4web said:
I hope you had good luck with the hurricane. The photos we see on the news are pretty grim.
Costa Rica != Puerto Rica. I'm pretty certain that Costa Rica was not impacted by any hurricane recently.

The first time I brought it in I had the mechanic come with me to test drive it for about 20 minutes repeatedly going over speed bumps and pot holes . He heard it and noticed the increased noise level .
I am a mechanic by profession and still providing mobile service at 69 yrs of age.
In my humble opinion the noise comes from the strut assembly or the lower control arm.

i will try to convince them to switch those parts one at a time with one of their demo cars to eliminate the problem.

They resisted the idea when i left the car with them the second time.

have a look at thread about anti roll / sway bar, subframe bolt torque and lubrication.

Please have a look here, maybe it's same problem
There also some links to a couple of videos there

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4858

Back