Timber dash starting to degrade and finish is cracking.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitedug

The timber dash is starting to show signs of sun damage as the protective cover (doesn't look like a sealant such as polyurethane sealer) is starting to crack.
Is there anything you can oil or wax the dash to help protect it.
A dash mat would also be good to protect it but I haven't been able to find a dash mat for a Right hand drive yet.

"The application of Teak Oil or Tung Oil will also slow down the greying effect caused by ultra violet rays. Teak and eucalyptus can be effectively cleaned using a typical kitchen cleaning sponge and soapy water (nothing astringent) and then wiped over with teak oil. The use of varnish or any type of polyurethane finish or sealers should be avoided as both woods are oily and urethane sealers don’t stick well, resulting in the need to refinish the wood in the future."

http://thepandacover.over-blog.com/article-care-tips-for-teak-and-eucalyptus-garden-furniture-108739993.html

Oiled the dash last night with teak oil and its a definite improvement. It's got rid of that dull weathered looked so thanks for that tip.
I think it needs another 1 or 2 more goes and it will look like new.
Probably something that most i3's need from time to time, especially light coloured dashes like my one.

Yes I think once a year would be good especially if it sees a bit of sun
I'll post a pic at some stage

My only concern with using one of these oils is the smell. IMHO, tung oil is just nasty smelling. Teak oil smells OK, but in the confines of a car might be a bit overwhelming. I guess leaving the windows open as much as you can until all the VOC's have dissipated is a must.

Ive given my i3 three coats and the smell only lasted a day and it was didn't really smell much.. It was more the 24 hours for the oil to soak in so the stickiness went away.
Looks great now so highly recommend.

whitedug said:
Ive given my i3 three coats and the smell only lasted a day and it was didn't really smell much.. It was more the 24 hours for the oil to soak in so the stickiness went away.
Looks great now so highly recommend.

Good to know! I'm going to give it a try. If I remember, I'll get some before and after pics.

Back