Level 1 Charger failing

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkinsdean9080

A couple days ago I realized the Level 1 Charger (the one that came with my 2014 i3, no REX) stopped charging the car. The Power and Charging lights are both on and neither the Power Fault nor Charging Fault lights are on. That's why I thought everything was okay until I saw I only had 45 miles range after charging all night. I also have a 220 outlet in my garage, so I switched to a Level 2 Charger and it works fine. Can the Level 1 charger be fixed? Or do I need to purchase a new one?

perkinsdean9080 said:
That's why I thought everything was okay until I saw I only had 45 miles range after charging all night.
If the predicted range increased overnight, your Occasional Use Cable wasn't totally non-functional. Check in iDrive that the Level 1 charging power is set to "Maximum". If the Level 1 charging power is set to a lower setting, charging would be quite slow.

Next time when you plug it in, note the time to full charge on the car's display and verify, as was said, that the charge rate is set to maximum for 120vac input (assuming your circuit is not sharing and can't support that). If the battery is really low, the OUC could take nearly a day to refill the battery and overnight wouldn't make it.

What are the status indications on the EVSE and at the car when you plug it in? The ring around the receptacle in the car should turn blue to indicate it is charging and the status lights on the EVSE should also indicate charging without a fault light.

What does the car's display say when you get in? If it says unable to charge, that's one thing. WHat about on the app, does it indicate charging is occuring?

Everything looks like it's charging correctly. The lights and screens show charging. I had the cord checked and found a burnt plug (over heated?). I replaced the plug and now it's working again :) . Thanx for the input.

perkinsdean9080 said:
I had the cord checked and found a burnt plug (over heated?). I replaced the plug and now it's working again :) .
An old or faulty outlet is frequently the source of the heat that burns plugs, so you might not have solved your problem. Excessive electrical resistance due to weak contacts that don't grab the plug strongly, power wires that aren't attached well to the outlet, or corroded wires or contacts could cause enough heat at the amperage drawn by your OUC to burn the plug or light a fire. Replacing the outlet used for EV charging with a commercial-grade outlet is wise.

Back