Connected drive issue

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snf

Hi

I’m having trouble with connected drive. My i3 is no longer communicating with connected drive, I cannot do update service in the car, it is greyd out. In data transfers nothing is showing.
Anyone have some idea what is going on?

Thank you.

This isn't your problem, but starting in July, 2019, cars that were produced on July 2015 will have their subscriptions expire. This will continue on as more and more cars hit the 4 year old point. July 2015 is a special date, because i3 production prior to that has 10 years of connected drive.

On an unrelated note, I'm not sure how BMW is going to support 2014 MY i3s until 2024, as they all have 3G modems, and it seems like many wireless service operators are planning on killing their 3G networks. Perhaps they might offer an upgrade to the LTE modem found in 2018+ models, though you would almost certainly have to pay for it. By 2024, many i3s will be on their 3,4, or even 5th owners, and said subsequent owners may not care too much about connected drive. I think part of it also depends on how much more i3s depreciate. It seems to have hit a floor of around $15,000.

Intresting, thank you for this info.
The 3G module in the car, can I switch its sim card or does ot not have regular sim?

I'm also having trouble with Connected Drive. I cannot seem to send any commands, but the Connected Drive app does correctly report my SOC and any changes that I make to the departure time schedule within the car. So, the car is able to communicate out, but doesn't accept any commands inwards. This is a 2014 i3, so it's not a subscription issue. Also, it worked up to about 6 months ago, so this is something new.

Anything that I can do or check?

Thanks,

Stuff that's cached on the BMW server like state of charge, fuel level, position, etc. works more reliably than commands that require that the car be polled. Those are: lock/unlock, flash, honk and air condition. The whole system seems to be pretty fragile, and any communication problem can cause the command to fail or appear to fail. It's my impression working with a terminal application to interact with the connected drive server that sometimes the server "forgets" to send back a confirmation of stuff that it really did do successfully, and sometimes it just gives up at the slightest glitch.

I don't believe that there's anything that can be done on the user end of the equation unless you have a contact at BMW who can put some pressure on the connected drive infrastructure team to go bug hunting.

Back