Suicide doors not registering as closed

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyW

Unless I slam the suicide doors, they come up on the dash as being open, even though they're definitely shut properly & securely latched behind the front doors. It generally happens as you go round corners - I guess a switch isn't being fully depressed somewhere. Dealer's looking into that one.

It did happen to me on the very first day when leaving the dealership.

Nothing since then. In all fairness, I must add that my son does slam the doors.

I had the same problem with mine on the first day. You could hear the door unlocking/locking after going over potholes or around corners. No issue today though, it would be interesting to see what your dealer has to say.

Seems to be a case of TADTS - "they all do that sir" :) My dealer had the car in for a software update & I asked them to look at this too. They got it to happen, then checked with some of their demo cars, and they all did it too! It's the top latch not doing its thing, and needing a proper slam.

AndyW said:
Seems to be a case of TADTS - "they all do that sir" :) My dealer had the car in for a software update & I asked them to look at this too. They got it to happen, then checked with some of their demo cars, and they all did it too! It's the top latch not doing its thing, and needing a proper slam.
Software update? I wonder if my car needs one...

Yeah I think they just need a proper slam - I haven't had a re-occurrence recently.

It definitely appears as if this happens to most of the i3's out there. However it also seems that if you close the rear door hard, it doesn't happen. Must be a VERY sensitive switch.

I just did a blog post about it since so many people were reporting it:

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/04/touchy-door-ajar-warning-light-issue.html

Back