My i3 REX doesn't have navigation!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgrisham

I'm hoping that this is something that will be a simple fix at the dealer, but I picked it up the Orange Mega Rex last night (no reservation, just an "expression of interest"). The GSM got me into a Owners' Choice/Flex program that worked for me...but it was late and we were all in a hurry, so we didn't run through all the features.

As I'm driving home, I couldn't find navigation anywhere. Went through all the menus on iDrive, and the menu just skips over where navigation is supposed to be. I've looked at the post about the difference between "Business" and "Professional" Navigation, and window-sticker clearly says Business Navigation.

I called the Owners' Assist on the phone, and set-up the account via the SOS button, and there was no mention of navigation.

So...is this something that the dealer "forgot" because I came in an hour before closing? Or is there something far more sinister, here...like a phantom navigation system on a $47k BMW? :? :? :? :?

Thanks for your advice!

2014 BMW i3 (5/22/14) RexMegaSolarOrange

Maybe the right maps didn't get loaded. It should still be in the menu and the button should still work.

Incidentally when I borrowed the demo model in the UK this week my home address didn't exist in the nav system. Funny because it's in the 535d.

At the dealer I saw a new set of maps for 2014. Maybe my house has got delisted in the new version. ;-)

Gonville said:
Maybe the right maps didn't get loaded. It should still be in the menu and the button should still work.

Incidentally when I borrowed the demo model in the UK this week my home address didn't exist in the nav system. Funny because it's in the 535d.

At the dealer I saw a new set of maps for 2014. Maybe my house has got delisted in the new version. ;-)

Wonder if there's a default to not store any home addresses on test cars in case of repercussions ?

I don't think that is it. They are not that paranoid I don't believe. ;-)

I didn't try and save it - just tried to select it as a destination and it decided that my house number didn't exist in my street anymore! Usually you get to select from a set of matching numbers.

Yes it is generally good policy not to store your exact address in the car......I use the nearest gas station as a home address.

BoMW said:
How strange!
So when you press the NAV button next to the joy stick between the seats, what happens?

There are no such nav buttons. sales guy told me an alert went out and a resolution is due next week.

Also had a check engine light come on today. Pretty funny to see an "engine" logo on an electric car! Taking it in tomorrow to service. Can't wait to see the confused looks on the service advisor's face!

Ah, life on the bleeding edge!

cgrisham said:
BoMW said:
How strange!
So when you press the NAV button next to the joy stick between the seats, what happens?

There are no such nav buttons. sales guy told me an alert went out and a resolution is due next week.

Also had a check engine light come on today. Pretty funny to see an "engine" logo on an electric car! Taking it in tomorrow to service. Can't wait to see the confused looks on the service advisor's face!

Ah, life on the bleeding edge!

Definitely let us know what they say.

Do you mean these buttons don't exist? Page 16?of the manual?

Is this an interior question? I thought all beemers have these iDrive buttons now even if the functions are different. Very weird. No radio? No media? No telephone?

cgrisham said:
Also had a check engine light come on today. Pretty funny to see an "engine" logo on an electric car! Taking it in tomorrow to service.

Excuse me but is it a Rex? And therefore it does have an engine? I hope you were aware of that! Range extender version so not pure electric. :shock:

Someone else on the Facebook i3 Group reported the same issue.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3

They had an Electronaut version of the vehicle without Tech Package. Germany omitted the default code 606 navigation package -- rendering the i3 without Nav.

Someone who worked at the dealer level chimed in that BMW is working on a solution -- and the original poster said that his dealer is going to try to retrofit the nav -- or provide him with a $1500 credit.

Check it out -- sounds very familiar to what you're reporting!

Hi,

Yes, of the 7 or so REx vehicles delivered to So Cal, the 606 'regular' navigation was somehow omitted. My dealer discovered this at 2pm on Friday (an hour before I was to take delivery). He has escalated the problem to BMW NA, and the issue has gone to BMW engineering in Germany. He has emails marked 'urgent' regarding the matter. He believes someone will get canned over this.. BMW has put a hold on cars still sitting at the ports.

Since it was basically past closing time in NJ, and a holiday weekend, the resolution will wait until Tuesday. According to the manager at New Century, options are 1) a retrofit (might just be a cabling and software fix), 2) some amount of money if it cannot be retrofitted 3) a reorder…and subsequent wait for new vehicle. Owners choice.

I took mine home anyway - :D had to have it for the weekend after waiting..

Martin Booker

I feel for you, bummer, especially a memorial da weekend and planning on having your new i3. I probably would have done the same taken it home anyway. GOOD LUCK! with whatever they will do to fix it for you.

I wish they offered one in the US without NAV as I don't want it (won't ever drive the car where I would need one), but if I bought one I would definitely insist on it being there if I paid for it.

So I would love it if they messed up like that and offered me $1500 ;) But by the time I buy one that issue will surely be worked out.

Eric

I expect I'll hear something tomorrow or Thursday. This is my 3rd electric car (albeit, this REX is a cheater electric), and I must tell you Navigation is essential on an electric if you intend to get close to your range limits, like, ever. I have a 39 mile commute -- each way -- so I think it imperitive to the driving experience. Google maps on the iPhone doesn't cut it.

I got the mega because I hadn't pre-planned far enough in advance, (had I been willing to wait, it'd be a solar-orange giga with tech package).

Nice guys at the dealer, nothing but apologetic about the navi issue. You can tell they are invested in the i3's overall success, and genuinely want me to be happy.

This may help with your Navigation issue.

UPDATE:

We expect to know by Monday, June 2nd, the status of the retrofit for the missing Navigation Business system (option 606).

The affected vehicles include all i3 Rex vehicles without ZTD (Technology + Driving Assistant Package) produced weeks 10 through 22 and half of week 23.

Any vehicles that arrive at your dealership without Business Navigation can be retailed but you must disclose the missing option to your customer. The remaining affected vehicles will not be released until we have an update.

We appreciate your patience as we work towards a resolution.

National Automotive Sales

***ORIGINAL MESSAGE***

Today, we have identified a number of i3 Rex (Model 14iB) that have not been equipped with the standard Navigation Business system (Option 606). Your dealership has taken delivery of one or more of these vehicles. We are actively investigating and considering all avenues (option retrofit, option credit, vehicle reorder, etc.) for a dealer/consumer friendly resolution. We will have further updates as new information arrives.

In the interim, we have a placed a VDC delivery stop on all affected vehicles until we have definitive actions in place. We apologize for the difficultly that this will cause and appreciate your patience as we work towards a resolution.

Back