jadnashuanh

Re: BMW i3 Recall

Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:15 pm

High performance airbags often have the ability to inflate at more than one speed to account for the vehicle's speed and whether the occupant is wearing their seatbelt. If you're going slow, it inflates slower, while if you're going fast, there's less time, so it inflates faster. There's also a sensor to adjust this if you don't have your seatbelt on. Sounds like the thing is only using the fast inflate mode, which can act like a major punch, especially if you don't have your seatbelt on.

If I had to use that passenger seat, I'd move the seat back as far as possible and ensure the person was wearing a seatbelt to limit potential harm until the thing was fixed.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

tiburonh

Re: BMW i3 Recall

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:22 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:High performance airbags often have the ability to inflate at more than one speed to account for the vehicle's speed and whether the occupant is wearing their seatbelt. If you're going slow, it inflates slower, while if you're going fast, there's less time, so it inflates faster. There's also a sensor to adjust this if you don't have your seatbelt on. Sounds like the thing is only using the fast inflate mode, which can act like a major punch, especially if you don't have your seatbelt on.

If I had to use that passenger seat, I'd move the seat back as far as possible and ensure the person was wearing a seatbelt to limit potential harm until the thing was fixed.

I'm pretty sure from the way my recall notice is phrased that the issue is not that it is only inflating at the fast inflate mode -- the issue is that it is not inflating AT ALL in the low speed mode.

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”