xxiicenturyval

Re: Should I get one?

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:22 pm

there is another way to make it a bit more affordable: multiple security deposit. If you have some extra cash in hand you can put down a deposit w/ BMW FS (7 monthly payments) to drop your money factor. It dropped my lease pymt about $25/month. The deposit is refunded at the end of the lease. It is a great ROI if you are dead set on leasing an i3 (or any BMW for that matter)
Warwick dealership is a typical middle man: they try to force you into an expensive lease. If you do your homework online and are prepared to walk out they will call you back. You do have to pay them a visit though. You don't have to accept any car on their lot - they had mine sitting in a port in NJ. When they offered me a preposterous lease I just left and told them I was heading to Newport. They called back the same day :)
2015 BMW i3 BEV
2011 BMW 335d - the wife wouldn't let me sell it!
1979 BMW 316 (RIP)

cmj912

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:32 am

xxiicenturyval wrote:there is another way to make it a bit more affordable: multiple security deposit. If you have some extra cash in hand you can put down a deposit w/ BMW FS (7 monthly payments) to drop your money factor. It dropped my lease pymt about $25/month. The deposit is refunded at the end of the lease. It is a great ROI if you are dead set on leasing an i3 (or any BMW for that matter)
Warwick dealership is a typical middle man: they try to force you into an expensive lease. If you do your homework online and are prepared to walk out they will call you back. You do have to pay them a visit though. You don't have to accept any car on their lot - they had mine sitting in a port in NJ. When they offered me a preposterous lease I just left and told them I was heading to Newport. They called back the same day :)

The dealer I'm working with has been pretty good with the lease payment. It's the *&#^$$% insurance! Good God. What a debacle.

cmj912

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:39 pm

I got my car today! Impressive vehicle.

i3green

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:22 pm

cmj912 wrote:I got my car today! Impressive vehicle.

nice!! what end you up with?
born electric 06/02/2016 BMWi3Rex Iconic Silver Terra :)

cmj912

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:50 pm

i3green wrote:
cmj912 wrote:I got my car today! Impressive vehicle.

nice!! what end you up with?

It is a white 2015 Rex with the Technology/Apps package. Really cool car. Now if I could get it to charge...

jadnashuanh

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:24 pm

The only issue you might have with the supplied OUC EVSE is if it shares any power with something else on that circuit...then, you may have to go into the menu and tell the i3 to not take more power than the maximum. If it's the only thing on that circuit, it should be able to accept the maximum the EVSE can provide.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

cmj912

Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:42 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:The only issue you might have with the supplied OUC EVSE is if it shares any power with something else on that circuit...then, you may have to go into the menu and tell the i3 to not take more power than the maximum. If it's the only thing on that circuit, it should be able to accept the maximum the EVSE can provide.

They didn't show me how to do any of that but my suspicion is the outlet is old and crappy. I went to a Chargepoint for an hour to get some range back. It is going to be very annoying until we can get that dealt with.

jadnashuanh

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:53 pm

The manual, both in the car and in the book they give you, plus the app you can get for free for your phone or tablet give you at least three ways to figure out things about the car. If you don't read the manual, you'll miss lots of features of the car's many capabilities. Most people will never need or use them all, but you wont' even know about them unless you look! Once you get the hang of the menu system, it's fairly easy to find things, especially if you start with the on-board interactive manual embedded in the car's hard drive.

Charging with the EVSE gives you three choices other than whether to start now or delayed: max, medium, or low when using the level 1 (120vac) circuit. IF your breaker trips, try to lower the rate (or shut off whatever else is on that circuit). IF the EVSE gives a fault, your receptacle is probably defective, especially if you can charge elsewhere. Even if the EVSE won't reach your car, and it indicates an error, try plugging it into another receptacle...it should not indicate any errors. It's not a great idea to use an extension cord with the thing, but if you choose to try, make sure it is as short as possible and ideally, at least 12g wire and it must be a grounded receptacle and cord.
Jim DeBruycker

cmj912

Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:34 am

jadnashuanh wrote:The manual, both in the car and in the book they give you, plus the app you can get for free for your phone or tablet give you at least three ways to figure out things about the car. If you don't read the manual, you'll miss lots of features of the car's many capabilities. Most people will never need or use them all, but you wont' even know about them unless you look! Once you get the hang of the menu system, it's fairly easy to find things, especially if you start with the on-board interactive manual embedded in the car's hard drive.

Charging with the EVSE gives you three choices other than whether to start now or delayed: max, medium, or low when using the level 1 (120vac) circuit. IF your breaker trips, try to lower the rate (or shut off whatever else is on that circuit). IF the EVSE gives a fault, your receptacle is probably defective, especially if you can charge elsewhere. Even if the EVSE won't reach your car, and it indicates an error, try plugging it into another receptacle...it should not indicate any errors. It's not a great idea to use an extension cord with the thing, but if you choose to try, make sure it is as short as possible and ideally, at least 12g wire and it must be a grounded receptacle and cord.

The Genius explained a lot of the features like the map and navigation, EcoPro, comfort settings, the keys and climate and stuff. There just wasn't a lot about the hows and whats of charging. They seemed to think extension cords were fine.

I have two 14g 25ft 1875 watt outdoor-rated cords. One of the cords was purchased for me by the dealer. I was hoping they'd buy a shorter one that was even heavier rated and not one of those clear-plug things since those have given me trouble with other things.

When you plug in the EVSE (it doesn't reach the car otherwise) it says "power fault". I went the Chargepoint and the car charged fine. Of course you use their cord, not yours.

As I mentioned our driveway outlet is probably from the 70s or early 80s and likely needs to be replaced.

Luckily we have a 2-hours free Chargepoint .75 miles from my house at the AAA headquarters.

And just so you know, I did sit in the car during the hour it was charging and read the charging section of the manual. :)

jadnashuanh

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:29 am

BMW does not recommend the use of an extension cord with the EVSE. The longer it is, the more likely you'll have issues, especially if they are not of good quality or actually made properly. They also MUST be grounded AND you cannot use an adapter on the receptacle. IF any of the connections are a little loose, that is very likely the issue. ON a 15A circuit, 14g is the minimum, and if you make longer runs, 12G is better (and they tend to use better plugs and sockets on them). Using the 80% rule, those are just barely capable of the wattage drawn by the i3, and if there is any poor connection, absolutely not. Also, when drawing full current on any wire like that, do NOT leave any portion coiled up...it adds inductance, and can cause the wire to heat up more.

Try plugging the EVSE into the receptacle without the extension cords. Some of the fault detection circuitry will still work even when not connected to the car, see if it reports an error.

Find a place where you can plug your OUC in without an extension cord to verify it does work. If it does, you've isolated it to either the extension cord(s) or the receptacle.
Jim DeBruycker

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”