Why we aren't ordering an i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewDebbie

After a 1 hour test drive in an i3 earlier this week, we've decided not to order.

Both Debbie and I drove the car and we felt pretty much the same about it.

We are loyal BMW customers. We've owned five BMWs. Six if you count MINI. We test drove an ActiveE over the summer and liked it.

The i3 tested was entry level trim. Pro navigation and The heated seats / battery pre-heat were the only options. We were told this was the most popular choice for early orders.

We had the car for an hour and were able to drive on city streets and the motor way.

Summary:

Pros

The car drives like a BMW within the limits of the tires. It is responsive and fast. The Pro Navigation is the best I've seen in a car to date. (And we've been looking at a lot of cars)

Sound system connected to my iPod nano, my memory stick and Debbie's iPhone easily. Most new cars we've looked at fail this test. Probably worth getting the upgraded speakers if you listen to a lot of music.

Visibility is mostly good and the turning circle is amazing.

Cons:

The i3 is ugly both inside and out. The colors don't help. Solid black or body colored roof and hood would help.

The seats were uncomfortable. The ride was harsh and there was a lot of vibration. We like a stiff ride but this was to the point of being uncomfortable. (We currently have a BMW Z4 and MINI with the sport suspension before that) After an hour Debbie was having numbness in her arm.

The back seat is cramped and hard to get into. I caught my trouser leg on a hook in the door sill.
We need enough room in the back for two large dogs. The i3 is marginal for that.

Even with leather and wood options the large front part of the dashboard is unattractive. It makes the i3 feel like a much cheaper car than it is.

Overall the i3 is a better car then Leaf. BUT The i3 is not good value for money in comparison with the Nissan Leaf. The Leaf isn't perfect but it does have some of the features we need that are not available on the i3 and it is substantially less expensive.

Nissan offers 14 days of ICE rentals for £5 per day and free charging at all Nissan dealers. BMWs rental plan is very expensive and most dealers don't offer charging yet.

We will probably lease a Leaf this time around and see where BMW is 3 years from now.

I agree on the look of the material around the dash. It is too ECO for my taste. It could easily have been a simple Matt black and it would look much better.

I found the seats to be comfortable and liked the firm ride. However we have mostly good smooth roads here in the southern US.

I agree that the Leaf is a better value, but I know the I will need slightly more range on ocassion so the leaf would not work for me. The REx i3 solves that issue for me...

Hi Andrew, Debbie,

agreed on points not scored on some parts of the interior and exterior execution. While no showstopper for us, I can understand anybody not buying in.
Pity though...

Greetings from NL,
Steven

We were disappointed. I expected to be leaving the dealership with an i3 on order.

Instead we started looking at some of the more fuel efficient diesels. We are trying to decide between something like a 116d or a Leaf.

Probably end up getting a Leaf and wishing it was an ActiveE.

AndrewDebbie said:
We were disappointed. I expected to be leaving the dealership with an i3 on order.

Instead we started looking at some of the more fuel efficient diesels. We are trying to decide between something like a 116d or a Leaf.

Probably end up getting a Leaf and wishing it was an ActiveE.

Sorry to hear about your disappointment! You can have my ActiveE! After driving the i3 five times now I can tell you I no longer want to drive my ActiveE - too bad I can't sell it to you! :) There is really nothing the ActiveE does as well as the i3, other than personal preference of the styling I guess. The trunk (boot) is unusably small because it is taken up by the power electronics, the back seats are impossible to get in and out of and make you really appreciate the i3's coach doors. It's much slower than the i3 and doesn't have any premium tech options like keyless entry, rearview camera, sunroof, garage door opener, LED headlights, etc.

AndrewDebbie said:
The i3 is ugly both inside and out. The colors don't help. Solid black or body colored roof and hood would help.

Andrew

That comment surprises me given your.level of interest upto the point of seeing the car. You clearly knew what it looked like, was it so different in the flesh? Enjoy your Leaf!

Stevei3 said:
Hi Andrew,

sorry to ask, out of curiosity: how do you fit yourself, the mrs and two largish dog in the Z4 ?
;)

Steven

We've managed to get the to of us plus the Labradoodle in the Z4 a few times. It isn't fun. Willow the Great Dane needs the entire passenger seat. She doesn't like it. (Gotta take a photo before we return the Z in March)

Most days we drive a 2005 Vauxhall Combo van. We drop the dogs at day care and the take the ageing noisy van to work. The Z4 is a weekend car.

We desperately want to replace the van with a more pleasant daily driver. Currently thinking about 116d 5 door or Leaf.

Atommad said:
Andrew

That comment surprises me given your.level of interest upto the point of seeing the car. You clearly knew what it looked like, was it so different in the flesh? Enjoy your Leaf!

Yes and no. I'd only ever seen photos of i3s next to other i3s.

Seeing an i3 surrounded by beautiful BMWs made an impact. Also something never look the same in photos. Details like the fake kidney grill STOOD OUT. This car make a statement. I'M DRIVING AN ODD LOOKING EV. Obviously some people like it -- sales have been far better than BMW predicted.

For me, the real surprise was the interior. It was odd and the use of recycled materials cheapened the feel. They've done too much to emphasize the eco materials.

It just clashed with what I want in a car. Of course I wasn't expecting anything like our Z4. But getting out of a Z4 and into an i3 was a dramatic contrast. The Z4 is beautiful inside and out. The i3 isn't.

Hi Andrew,

Holy cow ! (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun...) That's quite a Willow! I get the impractical implications of the i. Are you sure a 116 will do, for the headroom won't be that much more one would guess....

Regards, Steven

PS: pity the electric B Class of that other German manufacturer that can't be named here is just to late. It could be an acceptable dog owners' ride.
PSPS Z4: ouch. Nice. Just don't park it near an i3 please ;)

AndrewDebbie said:
Stevei3 said:
Hi Andrew,

sorry to ask, out of curiosity: how do you fit yourself, the mrs and two largish dog in the Z4 ?
;)

Steven

We've managed to get the to of us plus the Labradoodle in the Z4 a few times. It isn't fun. Willow the Great Dane needs the entire passenger seat. She doesn't like it. (Gotta take a photo before we return the Z in March)

Most days we drive a 2005 Vauxhall Combo van. We drop the dogs at day care and the take the ageing noisy van to work. The Z4 is a weekend car.

We desperately want to replace the van with a more pleasant daily driver. Currently thinking about 116d 5 door or Leaf.

We looked at a B Klasse. It would work, but MB say they have no plans to bring the E-Cell to the UK. The Audi E-Tron won't be here until late 2014. The e-UP! is too small and the e-Golf won't be here in time.

So we looked at lots of ICE alternatives.

A Klasse? OK but we both prefer the 1er. C 220d wagon? Perfect for the dogs, too 'my father's car' for us. The new C might be better but isn't here yet. A4 Avant? I like it more than Debbie. Golf or Golf Plus? Too expensive for what it is.

BMW?
Willow would have to sit in the rear seat of an 116d. Chester would go in the back behind a dog guard. Otherwise he'd end up in our laps.

The 116d is a compromise for us. It would work, but we aren't wild about it. We also considered an X1. We both like everything about the X1 except the fuel economy. We narrowed our choice down to a Leaf or an X1.

In the end we've choose to get a Leaf Tekna. I'll be the first to admit it is a transportation appliance and not a driver's car. Even the top of the line Tekna feels like an economy car. But Nissan has met their design goals well. It doesn't grate on me the way an i3 does. It doesn't shout weird eco car. Yes the handling is terrible, but Leaf encourages a more relaxed approach to getting to point B.

Even though I loved the drive and engineering aspects of the car - I agree with Andrew about the rubbish eco-trim.

If they'd stopped the revolutionary thinking at the engineering stage - and done a normal BMW trim job it would be a nicer car.

I think the whole marketing schtick of selling it on being made by windmills and furnished with recycled rubbish is a bit precious personally.

The "urban loft" approach might appeal to a few metropolitan architects with funny spectacles - but I don't think your average BMW enthusiast will be impressed.

That's why I've ordered the leather interior - I thought it looked more like a £40K car.

I33t said:
So where will Chester sit in a Leaf?

In the back behind a dog guard. (Boot in Britspeak) Nissan have a custom fit dog guard for Leaf 2.0. We checked and he will fit.

Willow is well trained and will happily sit in the back seat of a car without bothering us.

We would have done something similar with an i3 except BMW don't have a dog guard for it.

The area behind the seats is smaller than Leaf too. Chester would fit, but it was far from ideal.

It is interesting how people's experience in the i3 differ so much. Having drive mainly softly sprung french cars, I was all prepared for the i3 to be a really hard ride but was actually pleasantly surprised. I found the seats in the front comfortable and like the styling. And the Rex removed my range anxiety. So why have I also just ordered a Leaf?

Many reasons - here is a summary:

1) Financial argument. The i3 is simply a lot more expensive. For 12k miles a year I was looking at £500 a month on PCP or lease. It's nearer £350 for the Leaf.
2) The Leaf is bigger. 5 seats on the very odd occasion it might be needed, bigger boot, rear doors that open even if the front ones are closed
3) Rapid charging as standard and an established Rapid charging network. At the moment, I don't think it is even clear when you will be able to rapid charge the i3. I registered ages ago at chargenow.com and never heard anything again.
4) Pre-sales support. At BMW (Guildford) the salesman quickly became irritated that I hadn't already placed my order just 1 week after product launch! And no offers of a test drive more than 1hr. Martins Winchester understood that a switch to EV was a big decision. They were happy to lend me a leaf 3 times for a day, a weekend, for various range tests. Top marks for customer service.
5) Driving experience. The one pedal driving in the i3 was 'ok' for an hour. I might have got used to it, but smooth driving required a deftness with the right foot that demanded concentration. The leaf, by comparison, is an utter dream to drive. It is far less trigger-happy, and yet seems to possess an 'off the line' acceleration that is more than good enough to put a smile on my face.
6) Rear space. The back of the i3 is claustrophobic. You can't open a window and you can't open the door until the front passenger does so. But much more critical is foot space. With the front seats at their lowest setting (where I wanted them) you could not fit your feet under the seat when sitting in the back of the i3. It's a slight issue in the Leaf, but not as bad.
7) The i3 has no heated steering wheel. You have to love the heated steering wheel in the Leaf right?
8) This community!! In buying the Leaf, I feel like I am joining a community, there is a sense of belonging to a club. That just isn't there yet with the i3, and might never be.

So there we have it. The Leaf it is. And it was in no small part down to the accommodating nature of my local sales manager at Martins who responded to emails at 10pm, directed me to this forum and really evangelized the whole EV concept. Never pushy, he never tired of my endless questions and queries and in the end I felt he actually deserved to get my order. I hope the after-sales service is as good.

Hi Honks,

and another customer has left the premises due to the total lack of information, general unresponsiveness and even unfriendliness of the i sales/media system (amongst other factors as stated). Not a good thing. The funny thing is that BMW's own people (here in NL at least) do not seem to grasp the severity of this problem.
I must admit I have one on order, but I am totaly underwhelmed (this is putting it *very* mildly) as well by the i agent (etc.) system.

Enjoy your Leaf, Steven

Hi
We've had a leaf since March 2011. We have ordered in august an i3 Rex with 50kw fast charger/winter pack option for delivery late January. We live in Newcastle, NE England. Lots of charging points around the area and a reasonable amount of fast chargers. The most useful charge points for us are the type 2 points, 30amp max, our leaf was the original model which only has 3kw on board charger. This couldn't be upgraded to the 6.6kw charger which is available as an option on new leafs. So the 30a points still only deliver 15a max to the car, ie 3kw per hour instead of 6.6kw, or 7 kW in i3. If you are buying a leaf make sure you specify this option, I think it's around an extra £850(?) we found that we rarely used the 50 kW fast charger option as not really enough of them yet to be in right place at right time. Decided having Rex back up made more sense until much wider infrastructure of 50kw chargers.

Have had a few hours test driving i3 Rex and very impressed by it. Jumping out of leaf into i3 the most noticeable differences for me and my wife were feeling more secure, more solid and generally more in control. Loved the one pedal driving, like a dodgem car! The leaf has been a great car, no issues at all in 30 months, very relaxing to drive.

Had one on 6 month trial through switch ev, then bought one with 24 month balloon payment finance deal (£12,800 final payment) but by then had ordered an i3 so managed to extend into December then hand back before Christmas , so only a few weeks without a car, we share another car with inlaws 100 yards away. Our leaf cost £24k in sept 2011, bought as company car so had benefit of 20% offset against corporation tax in year one, reducing to £19k, then saved around £2500 pa on personal taxation benefit in kind and not buying diesel. Also free parking 3 days a week for my wife when she uses to go to work, right outside her office in centre of Newcastle ( a further £800 pa saving on either paying for public transport or cheapest parking but 10 minute walk) Insurance was low at £260. Not checked i3 cost yet.

We also appreciate the smaller 18.8kw battery in the i3 compared to the 24kw battery in the leaf, both provide similar range but i3 will charge up with standard 7kw charger from 32a point in around 2 hrs 45 mins as opposed to our leaf with standard 3kw charger in 8 hours ( or 3 hrs 45 mins if opt for 6.6 kW charger).

Anyone looking at buying any ev should also really look at fuel savings as electricity costs per mile are roughly 1/5th of good economy diesel or petrol costs. Plus other cost savings as mentioned above, especially if company car option or if in an area where free parking/charging available. Not sure how long this will be available in Newcastle.

Also servicing on i3 option of first 5 years for £450 great value, leaf was £240 pa after first free year.

Lloyd's BMW in Newcastle have been extremely helpful, have enjoyed dealing with them.although they tried very hard they couldn't get BMW to approve me collecting from Munich and driving back to Newcastle via Amsterdam, thought it would be great bit of PR for the I3, also a chance to see the BMW museum and visitor centre.

Back