ITestStuff

Re: Welcome to the BMW i3 Forum

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:04 pm

My 3 day test drive has turned into 36hrs for some reason. I want to use the REx, but I'd prefer to do the bulk of travel in EV mode only. I really want to check the range.

kabukiyu

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:34 pm

hello new here just got my i3 bev. hi everyone!

czarmar

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:41 am

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm very curious about the i3 after a test drive. Looks like heavy discounts are available right now, coupled with tax credits, make it perhaps the most affordable BMW along with the revolutionary technology the i3 offers. I'm interested in a BEV as we are a two car family, and can take the ICE for road trips. No need to haul around an extra 300 lbs for most of the driving I'd do.

I'm looking for a great deal - it looks like 10K off list price is doable, and ideally I'd find myself in a Tera BEV with both packages & heated seats. On my test drive, I got about 4.4 m/kWh in cold weather over 40 miles, which equates to about 80 miles of range.
I have lots of questions that I didn't get answered. I should have spent more time in the back seat - I want to know how the room is back there for little kids. I wish it came with 3 seats in back.

Halsonli

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:52 pm

TomMoloughney wrote:Welcome new members!

Please feel free to post any i3 questions you have here and I will do my best to answer them.

Hi Tom,
I have recently received my new bmw i3 in metallic orange. However, I accidentally reversed against the side wall of an underground car park and broke my left wing mirror. Initially I thought this would be an inexpensive fix, but after talking to the bmw office in battersea, they have given me a quote of £2100 just for repairing the wing mirror! About £350 for the parts and the rest for the labour cost! Is this normal? I am really surprised that the repair cost for some plastic resemblance and the install of the mirror could cost this much...
Really worried about my insurance going to shoot up next year...

psquare

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:22 pm

Halsonli wrote:
Hi Tom,
I have recently received my new bmw i3 in metallic orange. However, I accidentally reversed against the side wall of an underground car park and broke my left wing mirror. Initially I thought this would be an inexpensive fix, but after talking to the bmw office in battersea, they have given me a quote of £2100 just for repairing the wing mirror! About £350 for the parts and the rest for the labour cost! Is this normal? I am really surprised that the repair cost for some plastic resemblance and the install of the mirror could cost this much...
Really worried about my insurance going to shoot up next year...

That sounds unusually high, but I don't know all the ins and outs of your damage. Why not get another quote from a different dealer? Surely in London there are several BMWi dealerships. As I understand, more dealers can perform repairs than there are BMWi dealers anyway.

If the overall damage is really that high then I'd use the insurance for it, but only you can decide that

mark1

Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26 pm

I've had a similar experience recently. My driver side mirror was broken in an incident where the other driver failed to stop. I reported it to the police who are interested in speaking to the other driver in case they were uninsured and the local authority are checking CCTV (if it's you and you're reading, thanks).

Anyway, I initially didn't want to claim insurance for all the same reasons and got some prices from my local (non i) dealer as follows (all include vat but not labour):

Outer shell £48
Paint on above £72
Bottom bit with LED indicator repeater £52
Motor £172
Glass £322 :shock: :x :(
Whole assembly minus glass £700ish

I decided to go down the insurance route.

Problems I've had so far:
Non i dealer can't do it, as every i3 or i8 worked on has to have a PUMA case opened with BMW. Same with other new flagship cars, it enables BMW AG to collate all issues quickly and act accordingly rather than wait a year or two for warranty stats to shake out.

I didn't want a 140 mile round trip to i dealer to change a mirror so local BMW bodyshop had to seek permission from area manager to deal with car, no problem as it's not HV related, but PUMA case still opened and car still has to be isolated, and it still took a couple of days to get this done.

Extra expense incurred - bodyshop is replacing everything to avoid future issues, this involves removal and replacement of door skin, although they've told me this is a simple "pop off" job, with new clips when putting back on.

All in all, it's over a grand and insurance is covering it, but for you £2100 sounds quite high given that my local BMW bodyshop have indicated it's a "while you wait" job now the paint has been done, only a few hours of labour.

Car going in this week hopefully. :D
14/64 I01 i3 REx, Laurus Grey/Suite
15/15 F25 X3 xDrive20d, Carbon Black
13/13 E92 M3 Coupe, Alpine White

bbmertz

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:31 pm

I'm picking up my new i3 REx on Saturday and wanted to thank other forum members for all the great information. After reading so many useful posts, I feel like I know more about this car than the dealer! We're becoming a very EV-friendly household, since we also own a Tesla Model S.

bimmerc

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:52 am

Had my REx for a week now and loving it. :D
It's my second BMW and my first EV.
Leased it for 30 months.
Just washed and waxed her this past weekend. She's got a lot of surface area to wax! Whew!

Thanks for all the great info on this site. You guys really helped a lot!

Chris

2014 REx
Capparis White
Giga
Pkg & Tech Packages
DC Fast Charger
HK Sound

bocciaantonio

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi to everybody, i'm Antonio from italy.i had bought an bmw i3 a month ago.
I'm ve ry satifacted, the car is fantastic
:D

drb

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:06 pm

That's great news Antonio. Where do you live in Italy? Is your i3 a BEV or a REx? Continue to enjoy. Bona fortuna in all your driving experiences with the i3.

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”