Driving from LA to SF?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eneka

Anybody taken the 5 up and just filling up to drive to SF? I'm coded with the full 2.4 gal (not 2.1)

Thinking of hitting the DCFC @ Santa Clarita, charge to 80% and just keep HSOC enabled once I drop down to 75% and fill up constantly. Google maps show a decent amount of gas stations on the way so I think it should be okay right?

Here I go again:
It is a complete disgrace that the great state of California, home to about half of all EVs in the USA, does not have a single (non-Tesla) EV fast charge station directly on its main artery, I5, in the 800-odd miles between Mexico and Oregon, forcing us off onto capillaries like 101 and 99. It's like the UK having an electric desert on any motorway from Land's End to John o'Groats.
Jerry, are you listening?

jadnashuanh said:
People have gone MUCH further with their REx...CA has a bunch of CCS units as well for a fairly fast topoff of the battery pack.

i3an said:
Here I go again:
It is a complete disgrace that the great state of California, home to about half of all EVs in the USA, does not have a single (non-Tesla) EV fast charge station directly on its main artery, I5, in the 800-odd miles between Mexico and Oregon, forcing us off onto capillaries like 101 and 99. It's like the UK having an electric desert on any motorway from Land's End to John o'Groats.
Jerry, are you listening?

Yup that was my main concern. There are 0 CCS units along the i-5 which I will be taking. I did a quick google maps search and seems like there's at least one gas station every 30-40 miles so I should be okay. I'll carry a spare 1 gallon tank just for emergency. Farthest I've gone is LA to Vegas. I'm just worried as there are quite some steep grades that can zap the battery quite quickly never allowing the rex to charge up.

theothertom said:
Check out this post. The OP went from LA to SF in a BEV
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4511

Didn't use the 5 though.....

Jeez I'd never do that. Just finished the trip this weekend and took the 5 :twisted: It was quite fun seeing people turn around and point at my car, especially other phev and Model S owners.

I basically rex'ed all the way up. I'd say there's gas station every 30-50 miles and I was getting around 40mpg with the A/C blasting and ACC set at 75mph with few "bursts" to 85 when passing. Each fillup got me around 80-90 miles (coded to 2.4) Took about 7 hours from Downtown SF to SGV. Charge up in Santa Clarita and enabled rex at 75%. I let it drop down a bit and did another quick charge in San Jose.

Filled up about 5 times each way.

Stats coming back home:
ryrJpG1.jpg

Halfway through this trip, I became less worried about the range and more worried about the tires! Was a bit paranoid about getting a flat and getting stuck in the desert. The rear passenger tire was also a constant 7 degrees F higher than the others. I'm guessing maybe the heat from the rex affected it.

And the rex+ A/C fan is LOUD, like semi truck LOUD when it's trying it's best to bring the % back up and cool the car in some 105 F weather; especially when you pull into a gas station

Oh, you can also fill up without shutting the car off. Just don't open the driver's side door. Had 0 issue doing this when I wanted to keep my hsoc point higher.

Hello all members

7 Tips for Stress-Free Driving in Los Angeles

1. Take Surface Streets
2. Watch Out For Pedestrians
3. Know the Name and Number of Freeways Before You Drive
4. Remain nearby to the Main Attractions You Want to See
5. Enable Extra Time to Get to Your Location
6. Catch up on Your Parking Skills
7. Wear Sunglasses

eneka said:
theothertom said:
Check out this post. The OP went from LA to SF in a BEV
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4511

Didn't use the 5 though.....

Jeez I'd never do that. Just finished the trip this weekend and took the 5 :twisted: It was quite fun seeing people turn around and point at my car, especially other phev and Model S owners.

I basically rex'ed all the way up. I'd say there's gas station every 30-50 miles and I was getting around 40mpg with the A/C blasting and ACC set at 75mph with few "bursts" to 85 when passing. Each fillup got me around 80-90 miles (coded to 2.4) Took about 7 hours from Downtown SF to SGV. Charge up in Santa Clarita and enabled rex at 75%. I let it drop down a bit and did another quick charge in San Jose.

Well done! Thanks for sharing the details.

eneka said:
theothertom said:
. . .
Oh, you can also fill up without shutting the car off. Just don't open the driver's side door. Had 0 issue doing this when I wanted to keep my hsoc point higher.
I have to open the driver side door to access the gas cover, release button, that also relieves the tank pressure. Did I miss something?

Bob Wilson

Hello, I've never driven to LA from SF before, I see on this thread mentions of a hill... where is this hill? I am thinking of driving down (and back) to LA from SF in October in my i3 120 REx. Is that recommended?

Thank you!

ibojeda said:
Hello, I've never driven to LA from SF before, I see on this thread mentions of a hill... where is this hill? I am thinking of driving down (and back) to LA from SF in October in my i3 120 REx. Is that recommended?

This thread is a little bit dated. There are some CCS stops now, and more listed as coming soon.

From Plugshare, I see CCS chargers along Highway 5 available in Gustine (100 miles from SF), in Coalinga (100 miles from Gustine), and in Wheeler Ridge (120 miles from Coalinga), or Bakersfield (105 miles from Coalinga). Wheeler ridge is at the norther base of the Grapevine, which is probably "the hill" you're referencing. After that is the descent in to the LA basin.

I would confidently take on this drive the Highway 101 route in my 90Ah BEV. 101 is longer but might encourage me to drive more slowly, and it seems the CCS charging stations are more densly spaced along this route.

Thanks for the info Nate! I wanted to make sure my car could make it there and back and wouldn't give up on me. I will take your advice on 101!

Back