mobile charging unit

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serhat

Hi guys,

Is there any suggestions about fast mobile charging units ? or smo is using nrgkick or stg similar

By fast, I'm assuming you mean a 240vac unit, as a CCS unit would not be affordable or very mobile! The hassle is, you may end up spending a bunch of money on adapters to actually plug one in, and that's if you can find a place to do it! If you frequent mobile parks, you can usually find 240vac hookups, you might find a receptacle you could access at some people's homes for their dryer, or maybe stove, but usually, those would require a quite long power cord, and those, at the power requirements, would not be inexpensive. So, if you limit it to 120vac, you'll be limited to about a 16A unit and that's IF you can find a 20A receptacle...not as easily found as 15A ones, which can't support more than 12A continuous, and are by no means fast.

Clipper Creek and several others make portable units. EMW makes some that might work out for you once you decide on your parameters. Some will work either as level 1 or level 2 units, depending on setup and adapters used.

jadnashuanh said:
By fast, I'm assuming you mean a 240vac unit, as a CCS unit would not be affordable or very mobile! The hassle is, you may end up spending a bunch of money on adapters to actually plug one in, and that's if you can find a place to do it! If you frequent mobile parks, you can usually find 240vac hookups, you might find a receptacle you could access at some people's homes for their dryer, or maybe stove, but usually, those would require a quite long power cord, and those, at the power requirements, would not be inexpensive. So, if you limit it to 120vac, you'll be limited to about a 16A unit and that's IF you can find a 20A receptacle...not as easily found as 15A ones, which can't support more than 12A continuous, and are by no means fast.

Clipper Creek and several others make portable units. EMW makes some that might work out for you once you decide on your parameters. Some will work either as level 1 or level 2 units, depending on setup and adapters used.

thx for answer ;)

One you may want to take a look at is the "Juice Box". No experience, but it is portable and has a lot of cool features.

Look into Jesla (the Tesla UMC conversion), well, that is, if Tesla gets their UMC in stock.

I just bought a new one from fleabay and shipped it over the Quick Charge Power for the conversion coz I can't wait on Tesla to ship their UMC.
The Jesla varies the pilot signal to the car's charger based on the adapter plug that you use. Use a 14-50 and it will allow a max of 32A. Use a 14-30 and a max of 24A is allowed. You get the idea. The UMC comes with the 14-50 and 5-15 as standard, I believe.

Not inexpensive though but best option I found. It's very portable.

Back