Hold state of charge not available

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1

Hi,

I have just bought a second hand 2014 i3 REX. I'm loving it so far but I have one complaint. I can't configure the Hold state of charge function. I have a Swedish vehicle and so the feature should be available. See below:

EpP1uow_d.jpg

h6LmRkx_d.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/vD6Om

What am missing here? The owners handbook isn't much help.

If you do not know why the Check Engine Light (CEL) is on, maybe it is due to a problem that prevents the REx engine from operating normally.

I don't know why the CEL is on (how do I find out?). It seems only intermittent. However the REX is working really well. I just finished a 200km trip and the REX served its purpose without complaint. It just won't let me change the Hold state setting.

bob1 said:
I don't know why the CEL is on (how do I find out?).
An OBD-II code reader plugged into the OBD port somewhere above the front foot well could read the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) which would indicate the problem. If you car is still under warranty, a BMW dealer could do this and hopefully fix the underlying problem at no cost. But if your car is out of warranty, a repair could be expensive.

bob1 said:
It seems only intermittent.

Unfortunately, REx models have several problems that cause DTC's to be stored and the CEL to be illuminated. The fact that it is intermittent is probably a good sign. Temporary moisture where it should not be seems to be a common cause.

bob1 said:
It just won't let me change the Hold state setting.
Ours is a BEV, so hopefully a European REx owner will answer your question.

Am I correct in thinking that your Swedish i3 is no longer under warranty? Are you in Sweden near the former owner's BMW dealer. If so, maybe your i3 has a history of CEL repairs that the dealer made but that did not fix the problem. If the repair failed, maybe the dealer would continue trying to fix the problem at no cost.

Hej från Uppsala!

Hej från Malmö!

I'm ashamed to say it was user error. It seems the option to activate the REX is disabled when you are above 75% battery or when you are below 75% but parked with the engine off. All my testing was under either of these conditions. I took it out for a drive when the battery was below 75% and was able to manually enable it.

Thanks for your help!

Back