Anyone change the dash surface?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harv

So we are searching for a new i3 with rex. what we want is white, tech, moonroof, backup camera, Giga 9gray cloth and leather) and the Light Eucalyptus wood trim. I've found a few but with the Dark Oak trim. Anyone change the dash trim? Is it a simple lift and pull deal? I'm sure the glove box cover is easy but the other part might be trouble.

John

I've not changed mine, but on delivery the wood trim was sitting up off the plastic base on the glovebox. Initially I thought the wood had warped but the car was brand new. I just pushed it down and it clicked into place, so it wasn't a big deal.

According to the parts catalog, the trim parts are held in place with clips so they should be easy to replace. You might want to consider ordering some spare clips just in case they break.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1Z62-EUR-12-2016-I01-BMW_i-i3_94Ah&diagId=51_9397

Yes, I've done it. Just yesterday. Use the new pieces to find the location of the tabs as a guide on where to pry.

The biggest tip is for the middle piece under the infotaintment screen. Once you pry the piece loose, the hard part is to remove it since the screen is in the way. The secret is that once it's loosened, rotate the entire piece counter clockwise so that it's only the far right (for left hand driver cars) tab is stuck in the slot. That's the bugger that's hard to get out. You'll just need to stick your finger in there and help it with some firm pressure. Very firm.

If you don't rotate the piece almost 90 degrees counter clockwise, I don't think it would ever come out. More details about it here in a different thread:
https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1206&p=60747#p60747. Scroll to post 118 on page 3.

Passenger side piece: Open the glove compartment to expose the two torx screws underneath. Remove those two screws, then use a pry tool and pry the gently and then lift with the pry tool. The tabs are stronger than you think.

Driver side piece: Use a pry tool to lift and pull the AC vent piece loose so that you have better access to the perimeter of the small dash piece there that you're replacing.

Back