key fob dead

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrychan

Good day

one of my i3 key fob is dead, at first i thought it was the battery, changed it, nothing, then try the steering column, nothing, won't open anything, alarm, nothing, has this happened to anyone? before i take back to dealer....just want to see if there's a simple way to fix it ourself like some kind of reset?
Thanks

No reset that I can tell. The car won't start if you hold the fob in the indicated location? The orientation must be correct. If it's no longer under warranty, be prepared for a fairly significant cost (typically, around $340US). You can register it with the car yourself without paying someone, though.

That's strange. Could you have inadvertently swapped the fob with someone else's?

The lock computer needs a valid key to first unlock the car. Then, if I remember the initialization procedure correctly, you must first get the key that opened the car far enough away so it doesn't influence the next step, then, hold the 'new' one up against the spot on the steering column, then attempt to start the car.

Take the key out and verify it can unlock the car (you have to flip the cover up on the driver's side door handle to access the key lock).

The computer can only hold a few key registrations. If someone messed with it and tried to register another key, it may have flushed out a valid one of yours (theft attempt?). Worst case, the computer is damaged, and that would require not only replacing the computer but also a total replacement of the fobs...they come matched, and you cannot program the thing without at least one fob that was paired at the factory (or after) still available.

Back