Sunroof ... what years/packages - USA??

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritzner

Hi all,

This is my 1st post!!

I have been searching, but can't find the answer to what years/packages is a sunroof available in the USA on the i3?

Edmunds said the sunroof comes with the Giga package in 2014.

But I've been searching on Autotrader, Cars.com, and Cargurus and haven't found a single one with a sunroof. Disclaimer, I have been searching for anything under ~$20-25k ... which have mostly been 2014/2015. So maybe they were only available later.

For the US market, I think the sunroof is a stand alone option for 2017 and forward. AFAIK it was not available before then. I don't know about other markets.

theothertom said:
For the US market, I think the sunroof is a stand alone option for 2017 and forward. AFAIK it was not available before then. I don't know about other markets.

That would explain why I can't find an older one with a sunroof. It is what I figured, but I was hoping they were just rare and maybe I would be lucky enough to find one.

Thanks!!!

FWIW, there's a DOT regulation that requires metal surrounding a sunroof. BMW had to petition them to either allow the carbon fiber or they actually embedded some metal in the roof to satisfy that requirement...I don't know which, but it took them awhile. I'm sure that that added weight in the worst possible place far from the CG, but to some, it is a must. They originally had planned to make it available at launch in the USA, but that reg threw the kibosh on it, so the introductory announcements were wrong. Personally, it takes out some headroom unless opened, and I can't spare any loss so was glad that it became a stand alone option rather than part of a package that had other goodies that I did want. I fit in only a few cars with sunroofs, and if it is available without, it is often a stripper, and I don't want one of those, either...choice is good! Packages are bad!

theothertom said:
For the US market, I think the sunroof is a stand alone option for 2017 and forward. AFAIK it was not available before then.
The 2016 i3 Shadow Sport Special Edition had sunroofs, but only 50 of them were produced for the U.S. market.

I really appreciate the details!!

Unfortunately, I am very particular when it comes to what I want. My last (current) car I looked at 5 websites twice/day for 6 months before finding the exact combination of options I was looking for. But the 1st step is understanding what is available.

As far as I know now I want (I need to gather all the official names for all these options):
- Dark Gray (honestly I like the Orange, but it doesn't appear to come with the blue trim (which I really want). I love the Blue exterior, but that seems to only be available on new model years).
- Light interior with the brown leather.
- Blue trim on the steering wheel. (seems like some have it and some don't).
- Larger Nav screen.
- 20" Split 5-spokes.
- I would have liked a sunroof, but apparently that is not in the cards.

I am still debating on REx. I would really love not to have any gasoline at all, but I don't know if I can live with an ~80 mile range.

For anyone that may care, my last search was for a 2004 or 2005 Audi A4 wagon, Ultra Sport Package, 1.8T, 6spd, Brilliant Red/Ebony interior, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package. Estimates are that there are less than 10 of that exact combination in North America. But I've had it 9 years and I feel like its time to move on.

If you're looking for a CPO, your local BMW dealer can do a search for the exact car you want. You can try yourself on BMW's website, but it's a cumbersome search. Of course these searches will not find cars that are on non BMW dealers lots, or private cars for sale.

fritzner said:
As far as I know now I want (I need to gather all the official names for all these options):
- Dark Gray (honestly I like the Orange, but it doesn't appear to come with the blue trim (which I really want). I love the Blue exterior, but that seems to only be available on new model years).
- Light interior with the brown leather.
- Blue trim on the steering wheel. (seems like some have it and some don't).
- Larger Nav screen.
- 20" Split 5-spokes.
- I would have liked a sunroof, but apparently that is not in the cards.

Sorry to say but you’re not going to find the car you describe in North America. The i3 interior combinations are determined by trim levels a.k.a. Worlds. For 2014-16 they were:

-Mega (Loft in other markets): light grey cloth with Sensatec (vinyl) trim seats, light grey leather-wrapped steering wheel with blue metallic insert, light grey plastic dash trim, Andesite dark matt foil dash insert/glove box lid

-Giga (Lodge): light grey active wool cloth with natural (light brown) leather trim seats, light grey leather-wrapped steering wheel with silver metallic insert, light grey leather dash trim, Eucalyptus wood dash insert/glove box lid, satellite radio, Comfort Access keyless entry, universal remote garage door opener

-Tera (Suite): Dalbergia (dark) brown leather seats, black leather-wrapped steering wheel with silver metallic insert, dark brown leather dash trim, Eucalyptus wood dash insert/glove box lid, satellite radio, Comfort Access keyless entry, universal remote garage door opener

The larger navigation screen requires the Technology + Driving Assistant package, optional in all Worlds.

20” wheels with summer performance tires were a stand-alone option across Worlds.

The 2016 Shadow Sport Edition (50 BEV units) introduced the Fluid Black exterior color (with blue trim) along with North American debuts of the Deka (Atelier) world and sunroof.

For 2017, BMW offered two BEV models. The original 60 Ah model maintained the same three World offerings and options. While the 94 Ah model (sometimes referred to as Base) featured a new standard World and options:

-Deka (Atelier): dark grey cloth with blue cloth trim seats, black leather-wrapped steering wheel with blue metallic insert, black plastic dash trim, Andesite silver matt foil dash insert/glove box lid

Comfort Access keyless entry and the universal remote garage door opener were standard across Worlds. Giga and Tera added dark Oak wood trim as a no-cost option.

The sunroof was a standalone option across Worlds.

Oh man, that sucks ... but it helps to know so I don't drive myself crazy looking.

I like the blue inserts, the natural leather, and the wood dash ... but I guess that is not going to happen!

Thanks for the great details!

Back