Any All-Season or Winter options for 20" yet (in the US)???

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritzner

Hi everyone!!

I am going to look at some used i3s tomorrow. I REALLY like the 20" wheels much better than any other. But are there really no all-season or winter option for the 20" i3 wheels?

Summer tires only for the 20"?!?!?!

I live in the Mid-Atlantic (Pittsburgh specifically) where we seem some winter conditions. We typically don't get much snow and I think I would be fine with all-seasons. But I have run winter tires before as well. So I'm fine with either.

But I know Summers are not going to work in the cold, snowy, hilly conditions.

So from what I've ready I either have to get an i3 with of the 3 19" wheels or get a 2nd set of wheels for the winter.
What is the best option for a 2nd set of wheels? BMW, Tirerack, ebay, forums?

When I bought mine, you could buy the tire/wheel/TPMS all mounted and ready to put on cheaper from BMW than Tirerack. That package was cheaper than just buying a new wheel. They only put that package together with a wheel you may not like. If you want what may be the better winter tire, check out the Nokian R2. IMHO, all seasons are a compromise all seasons. They're certainly easier, but not safer.

fritzner said:
That is for a set 19" set of wheels and tires, right?

There are still no options all-season or winter options using the 20" wheels, right?
As far as I know, that is true.

FWIW, a higher profile, narrower tire tends to work much better in snow than a bigger/wider one, so it's not certain anyone will ever make one for the i3 given the special size and the volume of cars out there. IN a way, it's surprising that Nokian makes a winter tire to fit it. BMW tries, along with most car companies, to have an alternate source, but that hasn't been the case with the i3, again, probably because of the volume sold.

Back