How to find REx engine mileage

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bplanjl

Hi,

Does anyone know how to display the REx only mileages total or between oil change?

Thanks,

Jim

I use the BMW i Remote app that is free to download at the Google app store. It does many things and also tells me total distance and electric drive distance. I subtract to get REx distance. Don't know how to get REx distance since last oil change. Total distance between oil changes can be obtained by looking at bills issued by dealership.

Total distance is shown on odometer or by touching car symbol on upper left of main page on app. To find electric distance swipe left from main page then touch bar graph symbol in upper left. Then swipe lower portion graphs to electric distance driven graph showing your and community distances driven at bottom of page.

Most BMW's, and I'm pretty sure it's in the i3 REx, have condition based logic to tell you when various services need to be done. I don't have the Rex version, but I'd guess, the car will tell you when it needs an oil service. If it's like their ICE vehicles, they'll change it annually if you've not hit the condition based miles and how driven basis. The days of changing oil at specific mileage intervals is wasteful as not all miles wear things the same way. The REx, because it tends to stay running at a fairly constant speed and for a minimum time, probably isn't all that hard on the oil since it's not actually driving the wheels through a transmission with the load constantly changing and the RPM varying all over the place.

Jim is correct. The BMW connected app will tell you when your next oil change is due. I assume the car will too and it may be available through the i drive menu.

CBS https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/understanding-bmw-service-indicator-lights-by-brent-minderler
Based on CBS our vehicle has had the REx oil and filter changed by the dealer twice in 10,000 km of REx use in 38,000 km total distance and 1 year 9 months of ownership. REx is a high stress 2 cylinder 4 valves per cylinder 647 cc engine. It warms up at a lower rpm then switches to higher rpms based on load. REx contains 2.6 litres of fully synthetic oil.

Is there any other way to check rex engine mileage? I just bought a used 2014 REX with only 3500 miles. I connected the app but it only has the miles from when I connected the app. Can I look it up in the service menu?

808i3 said:
Is there any other way to check rex engine mileage? I just bought a used 2014 REX with only 3500 miles. I connected the app but it only has the miles from when I connected the app. Can I look it up in the service menu?
I'm not sure what you're asking. The OP wanted to know oil change interval, is this what you're after?
The term "rex engine mileage" is somewhat misleading because the REx doesn't drive the wheels. It generates electricity, which charges the battery, which then supplies power to the electric motor. A more meaningful measure would be hours run time, or something of the sort.

One of the previous answers was subtract electric mileage from total mileage to get mileage driven with the rex, but yes, perhaps total hours that the red has run is a better measure. I only get total mileage when I pull up the app. I haven’t run the rex yet except for the maintenance cycle.

ON an ICE, since the wheels are directly connected to the engine (ignoring the transmission), there is a direct relationship between the miles traveled, and the wear and tear on the ICE itself. That relationship has almost no meaning on something like an i3, since the REx's operation is dependent on load, not speed except in a fairly loose fashion. There may be times when the REx is roaring at maximum RPM, but the road speed is low, and vice-versa. The only rational way to determine wear and tear is to count the start/stop cycles, and keep track of the actual time running. Crawling in stop and go traffic with the lights/heat/air-conditioning/etc. on could be lots of hours of its operation, verses drafting a truck at high speed. This is where the condition based logic makes lots of sense. We can only see a vague, indirect relationship to that by noting when service is required as dictated by the computer in the car.

Back