Which options and trim levels do you prefer?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that the recall is over, I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a 2017 Rex i3. I am set on adaptive cruise and auto wipers. As I move forward what options have you found that you can't live without? On a second note, what trim level do you have and why did you choose it?

Adaptive cruise control is one of several options included in the Technology + Driver Assist package. Automatic wipers might be standard on all i3's. I would not be as happy driving an i3 without this package.

The only other available package is the Parking Assist package. The backup camera and front ultrasonic short-range sensors are the only features of this rather expensive package that I value. The self-parking feature is slow and has curbed too many wheels to be of value.

An individual option is the Harman Kardon sound system. If you really value high-fidelity sound, this is superior to the base sound system although it apparently lacks strong bass, but it was not worth $800 to me.

Another option is 20" wheels. Only summer tires are available in 20", so if you might need winter tires, you'd need to buy a set of 19" wheels as well. The standard 19" wheels are equipped with all-season tires which apparently provide a more comfortable ride than the low-profile 20" tires.

Any paint color than white is apparently an extra-cost option (~$550?). An optional paint color wasn't worth that much to me.

Some other features are bundled with trim packages. The basic trim package is Deka World which was not a trim package available when we bought our i3, so I'm not familiar with it. I think it has cloth seats and does not include some of the interior and exterior LED lights included on higher trim packages. It might not include LED low-beam headlights which I would want. All 19" wheel options might not be included with Deka World.

Mega World was the base trim level when we bought our i3. It has light-colored cloth and leatherette seats (BMW wouldn't call it "leatherette"). It used to have very light carpets as well which show dirt easily. It did not include Comfort Access (unlock/lock without using the fob) in the past, but it might include it now. I would not want an i3 without Comfort Access. LED low-beam headlights are included.

Giga World includes tan leather and gray wool seats and a wood-trimmed dash. That's what we bought. It is a very attractive interior, but its light leather-covered steering wheel shows dirt. Cleaning it can unfortunately remove the light paint on the leather (yes, the leather steering wheel cover is painted). It has a full set of interior and exterior LEDʻs including low-beam headlights. Comfort Access and a built-in universal garage door opener are included.

The top trim level is Tera World which includes everything in Giga World but has full leather seats and a dark leather steering wheel cover. Compared with Giga World, the Tera World interior is too dark for me. Also, leather in our warm, humid climate isnʻt as comfortable as cloth.

I do like leather seats for their improved wear characteristics, but did not like the single color leather available for the i3. I can see the leather being a problem in warm, humid climates. My other car has air holes and a fan to keep you dry if the weather warrants it, so that helps...not on the i3's side. I ended up with the Giga, and find the seats to wear well so far (don't really have all that many miles on mine), and comfortable. Leather on the edges probably will mean that area will hold up. The lighter color carpets and steering wheel are a bit hard to keep clean if that's critical to you. The larger screen of the professional nav, along with some of the features, make it a nice to have item.

I bought a used model, so couldn't choose options, but the REX I've got has a sunroof, the Lodge trim (wool+leather) and is Protonic blue (I don't like neutral shades...)

The only feature missing which I'd want is the speed limit camera, but the digital speedometer is very clear, and the 1-pedal control makes it easy to comply with the signage!

Chris

I appreciate the input. I live in Central California (think Fresno), where it's 115F in the summer and 40F in the winter. Cloth seats would be more comfortable, but I think leather will wear better. The wife likes to eat and drink in the car on trips, so with leather a simple wipe up is all that should be needed. I'm currently negotiating a deal on a fully loaded, low mile Tera. Since I keep my cars a long time I shopped and found one exactly the way I wanted!

I'd recommend aftermarket window tint considering your summer temps!

In particular, the windshield is massive which puts a heavier load on the air conditioning in the summer – A/C is one of the biggest power consumers after the drive motor.

If i3s aren't too common in your area you might want to check with your tint installer to see if they're comfortable doing the windshield. It's not an easy job.

p.s. I'd also recommend tinting every other piece of glass as the dark interior does no favors in the summer. This does, though, have the effect of making a dark Tera interior even darker!

I bought a dealer demo car......rex, has all the options available (to demo them all) and the most expensive packages, 20"and 19".

What I use: seat heating, sunroof, harman kardon and fast charging.

Rest ..... nice to have ... interior looks nice, navi (google maps is better), all the assist stuff..... i can drive !

I went with Giga and it is actually the first car I have ever owned, ever, in 17 years of car ownership with cloth seats. I would have loved to get Terra but with only the dark option and the heating/cooling characteristics of leather when trying to heat/cool the car along with the lighter color made Giga the clear choice.

BMW should really consider ventilated seats with a lighter color option for warmer climates, I would have jumped at that option but as much as I would like leather for wear and general appearance taking the range hit to cool down a car covered in dark leather is too much.

Mine is a lease assumption that I've had for 3-4 weeks now and didn't have much choice over color or packages but I am pretty happy with what I ended up with so far.

2017 Rex Protonic Blue w/Deka cloth interior
Park assist, Tech + Driving Assist, Moonroof, H/K, 20" wheels.

I think the thing which has surprised to the upside the most from the list of options above is the moonroof. Typically I couldn't care less about a sunroof...I never open them, in fact I usually even keep the interior shade slide closed if my car does have one so I may as well not even have a sunroof...but in the i3, I open it as often as possible. It's very quiet and I love the "T-top" style as opposed to the usual hole in the middle of the roof.

The Deka cloth is fine...I am kinda bummed about the grey plastic dash pieces since I really prefer the wood, but I can live with it. Oh and to address a prior poster's comment, my Deka trim package did come with LED low beams.

tamjam said:
.I am kinda bummed about the grey plastic dash pieces since I really prefer the wood, but I can live with it.
The wood dash pieces could be retrofitted, apparently quite easily.

alohart said:
The wood dash pieces could be retrofitted, apparently quite easily.

I have read that elsewhere...it's a lease so I need to decide if it's worth the expense for the two years of appreciaton I'd get from the wood...I have also read that while it may be easy it's a retrofit best done by the dealer since the center screen needs to be removed. Have you heard otherwise by any chance? I would rather DIY the swap.

tamjam said:
I have also read that while it may be easy it's a retrofit best done by the dealer since the center screen needs to be removed. Have you heard otherwise by any chance? I would rather DIY the swap.
I'm not familiar with the process. Hopefully, others who are will comment.

Back