Snow Chain ( fabric )

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisgrenier

I ordered a set of those fabric snow chains. They weight nothing and fit in the frunk with my portable charging cable. I live in a forest. Snow removal is not bad, when they come. For 3 years, i wasn't able to go up the extra hill to the garage maybe 3 times. I have the very good Nokian winter tire. When i can't go to the garage, i park my i3 in front of the house and charge it on a 120 volts outlet. Up to now, only the last little hill to the garage had blocked me. I was able to ride to the house 100% of the time. Last week, we had a lot of snow. New contractor for snow removal didn't show up. At the garage hill, i wasn't able to climb the hill. I did try Traction Control ON or OFF. Impossible. I took my fabric chain and put them. It takes around two minutes to install. Very quick. Then i tried with them. I was able to climb the hill to the garage. So the stuff works. Not as good as the metal chains we had when i was young, but it did allow me to go through deep snow to the garage.

Probably the fibres work hard to find any little traction then can grip on, like felt is doing so well under fishing waders boots. After all, felt under a wading boots works better on smushy slippery rocks than rubber with spikes.

The one i had was the ISSE snow socks. I had to calculate the diameter of the tire and compare it to other cars to be able to order them. The size i choose was 70, on their chart. It fit perfectly. They are so wide on the thin i3 tire that i could make two pairs out of one.

I would not put them on the public road, since you are limited in speed with them, but to do my 3 miles driveway in the forest, they did prove their usefulness. Tomorrow, we are supposed to have a lot of snow. So i might be able to try them a second time.

You have to completely dried them before putting them in the frunk so they will not freeze hard. Then in a plastic bag.

Maybe , one day, i will sew a strip of ski skins on them. In the middle. To see if it allows to climb an iced wall like they do on skis.

Louis

chaussettes-neige-peugeot-308.jpg
Wp35O.jpg
3629015772_dfca8200b1_z.jpg

Back