I3 charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IN all markets I'm aware of, a low-power EVSE comes with the car when new. The one supplied with the car is designed to plug into a standard receptacle where it is delivered (the same plug as a typical lamp or small appliance). Depending on that, while not the fastest way to recharge, it can suffice for some. If you want or need to use the fastest recharge possible (and you can't find a DC fast charger), you'd need to install a 220-240vac EVSE that can output at least 32A or so. In the USA, that would require a 40A circuit.

So, unless you bought this used, and the previous owner didn't include the EVSE, you should have all you need to plug it in and charge, but it may take longer than you want. It's not a good idea to use an extension cord, but if you do, ensure it is high quality and heavy gauge to handle the long-term use at higher power levels.

Also, if you're in a place where it rains, an extension cord should end with an IP66 rated waterproof outlet box (essential for mine here in the UK!) I've also added a simple flexible cowl above the car's charging inlet.

I've found the BMW type 2 accessory cable useful, as the 3kW to 7kW public chargers here have sockets (higher power chargers have their own cables)

Enjoy your electric motoring!

Chris

Back