Mapping plugin hybrid performance

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Hi,

I used the EPA data to generate this chart:
plugin_010.jpg

• Prime vs Ioniq - the Prime has lower drag power requirements but the Ioniq matches the Prime engine and drivetrain efficiency. Untested, the Prime may have a more efficient motor-drivetrain.
  • BMW i3-REx - all variants show a higher fuel consumption than the rest. Improving the engine efficiency should be high on the list.

Bob Wilson

The lower fuel efficiency of ie is expected- the ICE doesn't the wheels and it takes its toll. But how other cars are more efficient in the electric mode? I expected that i3 with its purpose built light chassis and skinny tires be on top.

At one point, it appears that BMW allowed the REx engine to run faster, producing more power, but also reducing its MPG figure all going to show, you don't get something for nothing. FWIW, the REx engine isn't all that efficient...lots of cars can achieve higher MPG than it does. So, if you're on a long trip and cannot recharge the batteries, relying on the REx to keep you going, there are other choices that will be more efficient.

My ICE, that weighs nearly twice what the i3 weighs, can get over 30mpg, close to the 34mpg or so the REx achieves, doesn't need to stop every hour or so to refuel, can carry more luggage and people. Yes, if you use the REx as a safety net, and mostly run on the power mains, it is super efficient, but you're carrying around an extra heavy person all of the time, losing some of the fun as the acceleration is lower, and your efficiency is, too. You get what you pay for, and in this case, it is maybe flexibility, but not necessarily efficiency.

While in 2017, running the REX at higher RPM when SOC is less than 15% is understandable, i think its very foolish to do so when the SoC is above 15%. . I mean the whole wold is spending money from research to new parts to improve efficiency , and you have a situation where the , manufacture is reducing the efficiency in 2017 model over the 2016 model, when some one uses the rex at 74% SoC , by unnecessary increasing RPM to in efficient higher levels.

Whats the problem , if the SoC falls from 74% to 64% while using REX . In fact small gas tank will deliver more range , with optimum RPM , which will be appreciated much more ....

There should be a setting for REX. Run For Efficiency or Run for Power...( for Mountains)

Back