Understanding epower Chart

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

https://goo.gl/images/ENVJF1

I am having some trouble understanding the charge side ( bottom side ) of this chart.
This data with its units is confusing to , make it meaningful to understand .

Is the unit on the left side (y axis) 1KWH ?

How come the values on many a minutes on the charge side so high.
Any help in making this units of data more meaningful , and real life useful , will be appreciated . Are we trying to understand distance travelling capability, when i see the below data
Power
Min 1 = 8 KWH/100 km
Min 2 = 25 KWH/100

Charge
Min 1= 5 KWH/100. . How much energy did i gain ? what does 5KWH mean for 100 km mean for regeneration ? .05KWH per km of regen in a minute ? Difficult to visualize the data with XX kWH per 100 km per min ?
Min 2= 10 KWH/100

Also , after completing a drive , the app says
Electrical consumption =4.3 miles /KWH ( i understand , 4.3 miles distance is driven per KWH of charge) OK
Recuperation : 15.5 miles/ KWH ( Does this mean , by driving 15.5 miles , 1 KWH of charge was generated ? )

This data is by keeping XX miles per 1 KWH is lot more easier to understand for me.

EVMan said:
Recuperation : 15.5 miles/ KWH ( Does this mean , by driving 15.5 miles , 1 KWH of charge was generated ? )
Correct. That indicates the rate of recuperation in the same units used for consumption, miles/kWh. So for the time period during which these data were measured, your recuperation rate was 15.5 miles/kWh.

Recuperation rates can be difficult to interpret because both the most efficient deceleration mode, coasting, and the least efficient, emergency braking, have very large mile/kWh rates because little to no energy is recuperated.

EVMan said:
This data is by keeping XX miles per 1 KWH is lot more easier to understand for me.
I rarely view this eDrive screen so I haven't noticed the units. The image you have posted shows metric units, kWh/100 km, whereas British units would be mi/kWh which we unfortunately use in the U.S.

EVMan said:
Is the unit on the left side (y axis) 1KWH ?
No, it's the metric kWh/100 km units.

EVMan said:
How come the values on many a minutes on the charge side so high.
Possibly stop-and-go driving in heavy traffic using frequent regenerative braking.

EVMan said:
Are we trying to understand distance travelling capability, when i see the below data
That's probably a good way of thinking about this.

EVMan said:
Power
Min 1 = 8 KWH/100 km
Min 2 = 25 KWH/100
Minute 1 driving was extremely efficient, likely traveling at a low speed with very gentle acceleration.

Minute 2 driving was quite inefficient, maybe with aggressive acceleration and/or at high speed.

EVMan said:
Charge
Min 1= 5 KWH/100. . How much energy did i gain ? what does 5KWH mean for 100 km mean for regeneration ? .05KWH per km of regen in a minute ? Difficult to visualize the data with XX kWH per 100 km per min ?
Min 2= 10 KWH/100
Recuperation rates are more difficult for me to interpret because low kWh/100 km rates could mean more efficient coasting or very inefficient hard braking.

Back