So, how's your i3 holding up, or should I buy a used i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterEko

Hey guys,

So, I leased a 2014 i3 when they just came out, and I loved it for the 2 years we had it. No issues.

Today, I'm looking at buying a 2015 ReX model with around 20k miles.

How are your i3s holding up? Any common issues?

I wanted to ask what you'd recommend I check when purchasing? I know how to check the battery capacity, obviously the cosmetics of the car, but other than that, what else would you look for to make sure you're not getting a lemon? Carfax will be available as well.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi MisterEko

I have 2014 BEV which I bought second hand in Sept 2017. It has now done 45,500 km (28,500 miles). Nothing has gone wrong, broken, or fallen off.

Not exactly a list of problems :D but at least it shows these cars can be trouble free as they age. I'm also interested to see what other responses you get.

Regards

• broken motor mount bolt - replacement bolts and mounts are much stronger. But it took two weeks for the repairs.
  • fuel pressure sensor - inhibited release of fuel flap.
It has been a while but I think the KLE was replaced on my first shop visit. I didn't know it was broken. I took the car to the local BMW dealer as I wanted them to check everything out. I did not trust the seller's BMW dealer did a through job.

Bob Wilson

I think that special attention can be given to the tires . Checking their wear areas across the tread may give an idea as to how the vehicle was driven . The i3 is agile but hard cornering will show in treadwear , perhaps more so than other cars .

When you test drive , make sure all of the tires have the spec. tire pressure . 33 psi fronts 41 psi rears . It should track straight with proper inflation .

These are what come to mind so far .

A number of items repaired/replaced under warranty. 2 years in a 30 month lease. If the price was right to purchase I'd be tempted but waiting to see more info on all the new electrics coming this year.

The REx engine itself will likely be your biggest risk item. Many of the 2014/15's had various problems with timing, spark plugs, fuel system and endless CELs.

Mine was crap right from the factory and left us stranded a few times. After numerous repairs its been solid (knock on wood), so hopefully whatever 2015 you get has had its teething problems fixed.

Back