Finchie

Newbie Question - Finding miles used with ReX !

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:16 am

Hi Folks,

Still loving it, week 4.

Trying to embrace the EV philosophy by not using the ReX (only in emergency). Used it a couple of times - completely justifying it and great to have the “get out of jail for free” card.

However I would like to know how many miles the ReX has been used.

How do I do that ?

Cheers, Finchie

MKH

Re: Newbie Question - Finding miles used with ReX !

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:58 am

It would need to be in "hours of operation" , not mileage, as the Rex doesn't drive the car's wheels, it powers an electric generator to add charge to the car's battery pack, to extend the car's range.

Looking at the service manual for the Rex engine itself, don't see any reference any kind of recorded "running time".
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 20 inch wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

CanisLupus

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:25 am

You can use iRemote to find out electric miles and subtract that from your odometer reading . From the 'Efficiency' screen , hit 'Statistics' . Slide the bottom area to the 3rd option which will show - All trips : Total electric distance driven (km or mi ) .

TheMK

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:29 am

There is an hour meter in the REx*. I'm not sure how to access it- perhaps through ISTA.

*Page 59 of the W20 engine service manual

MKH

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:10 am

You can use iRemote to find out electric miles

Wow - cool info - or would be - does not seem to be an option on my iRemote. No choice for statistics on the Efficiency screen. Wonder if the app varies by country??
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 20 inch wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

PBNB

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:03 pm

MKH wrote:
You can use iRemote to find out electric miles

Wow - cool info - or would be - does not seem to be an option on my iRemote. No choice for statistics on the Efficiency screen. Wonder if the app varies by country??

I checked on my limited version iRemote (Canadian Edition) and only see the total kms but not the Rex time.

I have also checked on the newly downloaded connected app and again shows the total kms but no Rex time.

I checked the BMW web connected page as well and still no Rex time.

Perhaps this is stored in the car's menu, I will check to see if it is there somewhere. It certainly would be handy to determine oil change intervals. I thought I saw this info before but can't remember where it was!
2015 i3 REX

CharonPDX

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:19 pm

PBNB wrote:I checked on my limited version iRemote (Canadian Edition) and only see the total kms but not the Rex time.

You're not looking for REx time, you're looking for "Total electric distance driven."

On the US iRemote, go to the "Efficiency" screen, then tap "Statistics", then tap the "Electric distance driven (last trip)" square, and the graph on the bottom changes to "All trips: Total electric distance driven". Subtract that from your total actual miles driven on your odometer,

For example, my "Total electric distance driven" is 14,521 (miles,) and my total miles is 15,253. So I can calculate that "distance on REx" is 732. (I know I did about 200 of that just a couple weekends ago, and another 100ish in the first two weekends I had the car, the rest must be from the first owner.)

I cannot find "Total electric distance driven" in the Connected app, only the older iRemote. When I get in my car again after work, I'll check and see if the ODB-II app "BimmerLink" lets me find REx hours directly.

MKH

Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:40 am

Well, found my problem. Assumed ConnectedDrive and iRemote were the same, Seems BMW iRemote has been discontinued, and these "deeper dive" stats are not available in ConnectedDrive (at least not yet) :roll:
Mark H.

PBNB

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:07 pm

CharonPDX wrote:
PBNB wrote:I checked on my limited version iRemote (Canadian Edition) and only see the total kms but not the Rex time.

You're not looking for REx time, you're looking for "Total electric distance driven."

On the US iRemote, go to the "Efficiency" screen, then tap "Statistics", then tap the "Electric distance driven (last trip)" square, and the graph on the bottom changes to "All trips: Total electric distance driven". Subtract that from your total actual miles driven on your odometer,

For example, my "Total electric distance driven" is 14,521 (miles,) and my total miles is 15,253. So I can calculate that "distance on REx" is 732. (I know I did about 200 of that just a couple weekends ago, and another 100ish in the first two weekends I had the car, the rest must be from the first owner.)

I cannot find "Total electric distance driven" in the Connected app, only the older iRemote. When I get in my car again after work, I'll check and see if the ODB-II app "BimmerLink" lets me find REx hours directly.

Looks like both apps are needed.

I was able to read mine as 19,956 kms Electric in iRemote, and 21,153 total kms in the connected app, so I have 1,197 kms on Rex. or about 5%
2015 i3 REX

MKH

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:32 pm

Looks like both apps are needed.

Yup, and unfortunately it looks like BMW has removed iRemote from both the Apple App Store, and Google Play. Hopefully future updates to ConnectedDrive will add in the missing stats access for us new owners.
Mark H.

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”