Dash Cam for I3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeC1

I have looked at several dash cams and feel the Owl Cam might be my best bet. The issue is that it needs to plug into the OBD port. I understand on the I3 that will trigger the car alarm. Any easy workaround?

There is a good chance a dash cam won't trigger the alarm because it doesn't connect to any data pins on the connector.

FWIW, BMW offers dashcams as OEM items as an accessory in some other countries. Might be interesting to find out from someone there if it's available for the i3, and if so, how it is connected. It might lead to who makes it as well, but the ones I've seen are branded BMW.

The OEM BMW dash cam accessory pkg can be had from eBay fairly regularly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-Genuine-Advanced-Car-Eye-Camera-System-Front-Rear-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-Series-/153246599327?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

... and install-able in a wide range of BMW's. Should be a way to install it in the i3.

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=762959

Update: Purchased and installed the OWl cam. Quick 10 minute install and no issues with pulling power from the OBD port.

Hello George, i am currently in the market for a dash cam , the owl looks like a great cam,is it a clean install? how does it mount in the i3 ? i couldnt really find any info on installation on the owl website.

One point, does the screen stay live while driving?

AFAIK it is illegal to have any screen showing to the driver that does not contribute to driver information (satnav etc) and that does not include dash cams showing the road ahead, most if not all EU dashcams can be set to turn the screen off after start up,for this very reason.

Edit......I now suddenly realise you may well be in the US, in which case it may well be fine to show the screen......of course :lol:

For those of you that installed any dash cam on your i3. What fuse did you tap into? I just got mine and I haven't even looked into fuses and such as of yet, but I plan on hardwiring my dash cam once I get it.

Back