Just venting...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seasidenj

At least for me in the New Jersey area USA realizing how early we are in the charging network we are. When I can I take advantage of the free charging at various dealerships. I always ask if it's ok to charge. Today at Lester Glen Chevrolet in Tom's river nj I asked the person at the desk if I could charge up he said no problem. After a while sitting in the car someone else from the service department basically told me I was on private property and had to leave. Was just very rude about it even when I said I asked if it was ok.

I know I'm not entitled to use their electric but no one else was using it and I was not in the way. Never had a problem before.

I hope more businesses adopt the idea of having a charging station at their location it is a good way to meet other electric folks and socialize also for the amount of time it takes to charge I would be spending money at an establishment but I guess it's all kind of early yet. ....Just venting

One of the BMW dealerships near me has their charger listed as "public" with no restrictions. Yet every time I've gone by, there have been non-electric cars parked there, often not even BMWs (I'm guessing employees.) Every time, I've called as I was driving there to ask if it was okay to park and charge there, every time I've been told yes. But when I get there, invariably "any cars parked there are the responsibility of the service department," and only once have I gotten the service department to move a vehicle parked there. (And then, probably only because I caught a service tech walking by, and the vehicle was obviously a customer vehicle in the service dept (could tell by a hangtag on the mirror,) and he went "yeah, sure." Usually, either nobody from the service department was available, or it was a service rep/manager who basically just went "not my job."

Yeah, their reactions to just asking to charge guarantee I'll never go there for actual service.

I'd send a nice email, with a link to your post, to the General Manager of the Dealership, or snail mail if you can't find the manager's email. The BMW/MINI Dealership I used to service my old MINI Cooper 10 or so years ago used cheap paper seat cover when the car was in service. Half the time the car came back with some sort of grease or oil or dirt on the seat - and complaining to service got some grudging half-a$$ cleaning job with a spray can and rag. Sent a letter to the owner of the dealership. Got a nice letter back thanking me, along with some MINI branded goodies and a coupon for a free complete car detailing. Next time I went in for service, they had big roll dispensers right at service check-in that held tear-off, full-seat-covering, plastic seat covers and the service advisers put them on as soon as they finished checking you in.

Obviously upper management put in the (expensive) "public" chargers as PR to bring in customers - if the rank-and-file are short-circuiting that goal, by using the charge spots as service parking because they are too lazy to walk a few hundred yards, upper management should want to know and rectify, I would hope.

Back