Touchscreen

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzbozo

Are the navigation displays in the 2019 i3 touchscreen? I’ve never seen an actual owner comment on touchscreen, it was just on a few websites when the new features were announced for 2019. Thanks for any info!

No. BMW uses a non-touch display, and the "iDrive" wheel down in the center console in front of the arm rest. I find it's less distracting than a touchscreen.

There is a touchpad on the top of the iDrive controller that will let you enter things like a phone number or address. Greasy fingerprints on the screen are a distraction, and the iDrive controller is located easier to access, IMHO. Maybe on other vehicles with different arrangements.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to getting our 2019, understand now that given the distance of the display from the driver, touchscreen may not have been a good fit for the i3 (and also those smudges!).

As a consolation, the touchpad on the larger iDrive controller (the one with Navigation Professional) supports multi-touch gestures, but only within the interactive map view. So you can zoom out by pinching two fingers together or pan around by flicking, etc.

I think you'll really like the iDrive 6.0 UI/UX in your 2019.

websterize said:

I wish their was an easy way to upgrade my 2014. I know someone could probably do a control unit swap, but that would get expensive in a hurry.

The 2018 system is only marginally different from 2015. Some evolutionary changes, no wow factor.

TheMK said:
websterize said:

I wish their was an easy way to upgrade my 2014. I know someone could probably do a control unit swap, but that would get expensive in a hurry.
Yeah, it's a significant upgrade, requiring new hardware. Indeed, it would get expensive to swap in a 2014.

The overall processing of everything is much faster in 6.0. Route guidance, voice commands, UX, it all feels quicker than in my 2015. The map labels are easier to read from the higher resolution screen, but the map colors are worse. The best part of 6.0 is its support of Apple's terrific CarPlay. Connectivity to an iPhone and its all its musce is much improved over 2015, and you could probably argue even seamless. And the iDrive's live tiles are a smart update. On the main screen, have configured the three I use most: Music | Map | Vehicle info detailed. Each tile's information changes dynamically on-the-go, and it's all on one screen. As a result, have found I don't use the iDrive controller between the seats as much.

You should get a 2019. :D

Back