Connected Drive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyJay

When the i3 is out of warranty does the Connected Drive app stop working. And also does the emergency request button still work?

In the U.S., most of the ConnectedDrive services, including Assist (emergency call), expire fours years after the in-service date of the vehicle.

The exception to this is 2014 models, and some early 2015 models (Produced before June 2015), which have 10 years of basic Connected Drive, including assist eCall.

Connected Drive has nothing to do with warranty period.

As others said, the earliest i3s have a 10 year ConnectedDrive subscription, later ones have 4 year (mine has already expired.) You can renew for $50/year (although last December, they did offer a $40 renewal.)

I find the U.S. Connected Drive services to be pretty confusing. There are actually 7 different services available for subscription. For our U.S. 2014 i3, 10-year subscriptions to BMW Assist eCall, BMW TeleService, Remote Services, and eMobility Services and 3-year subscriptions to ConnectedDrive Services and Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information were included with the purchase. A subscription to Concierge Services is available as well. The descriptions of these services are not crystal clear to me, so I'm not confident that I understand what functionalities might disappear when a subscription expires.

When my ConnectedDrive Services subscription expired, I chose not to renew it because I used almost none of what I think it included. It's clear what a subscription to Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information includes, but its information seems so outdated for Honolulu traffic that I find it almost useless. I did renew twice because of Black Friday special subscription prices, but I might not renew next year if the ARTTI doesn't improve.

alohart said:
I find the U.S. Connected Drive services to be pretty confusing. There are actually 7 different services available for subscription. For our U.S. 2014 i3, 10-year subscriptions to BMW Assist eCall, BMW TeleService, Remote Services, and eMobility Services and 3-year subscriptions to ConnectedDrive Services and Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information were included with the purchase. A subscription to Concierge Services is available as well. The descriptions of these services are not crystal clear to me, so I'm not confident that I understand what functionalities might disappear when a subscription expires.

When my ConnectedDrive Services subscription expired, I chose not to renew it because I used almost none of what I think it included. It's clear what a subscription to Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information includes, but its information seems so outdated for Honolulu traffic that I find it almost useless. I did renew twice because of Black Friday special subscription prices, but I might not renew next year if the ARTTI doesn't improve.

I don’t think it’s just Honolulu, the traffic service seems to be really outdated information in general, you are better off using your phone and goggle. Maybe 5 years ago that service made some sense, but with such good smartphones and services included, it seems silly.

I agree with you on the confusing part though. We have a 3 series with the services and I really don’t understand exactly what each subscription is getting me. I think they have all expired at this point and I have not missed anything, so.....I don’t think most of the pay services are worth it. I wish they would just integrate apple CarPlay or google’s (or both), this model of incremental after sales subscriptions for services that other car manufactures allow you access to on your phone seems like nickel and dimeing your customers pretty badly. give me CarPlay ..... come on BMW.

Back