bleuiko

BMW Lease Calculator

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi All,

I just picked up my BMW i3 this weekend. It was my first lease and I had to do a lot of research to learn about how leasing works. As part of that, I made a Google Sheets calculator that was very helpful in getting a great deal. I am sharing it here in case it can be of help to those still looking! It is most suited for California but should be pretty adaptable generally. Enjoy!

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The file is read only, but go to the menu and choose "Make a Copy" for your own use!

gobruins

Re: BMW Lease Calculator

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:16 am

Thanks. Great to show to the dealers if we get the "this deal can't be done" reply.

gobruins

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:18 am

bleuiko wrote:Hi All,

I just picked up my BMW i3 this weekend. It was my first lease and I had to do a lot of research to learn about how leasing works. As part of that, I made a Google Sheets calculator that was very helpful in getting a great deal. I am sharing it here in case it can be of help to those still looking! It is most suited for California but should be pretty adaptable generally. Enjoy!

The file is read only, but go to the menu and choose "Make a Copy" for your own use!

Does it matter to you that the DMV green stickers are all claimed and that there will need to be another allotment before any more are offered? For me, that caused an end to the negotiations with my dealer. I need that access.

eneka

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:27 am

gobruins wrote:

Does it matter to you that the DMV green stickers are all claimed and that there will need to be another allotment before any more are offered? For me, that caused an end to the negotiations with my dealer. I need that access.

Seriously??? Ughhh there was 2,000 of them left last week I check :( been waiting for my plates to come in and submit the paper work :(
2015 i3 rEX Arravani Grey giga, parking, tech, 20"

spitfire

Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:10 pm

eneka wrote:
gobruins wrote:

Seriously??? Ughhh there was 2,000 of them left last week I check :( been waiting for my plates to come in and submit the paper work :(

Looks that way:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

But I would bet they will extend it at least once more. Sales of plug-in hybrids would fall off a cliff if the green stickers are not extended. And with DMV still accepting applications (without payment), it would seem to indicate that they expect it to be extended, too.

Of course, if it doesn't, then sales of i3 REX would crumble... making deals even better :)

bleuiko

Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:47 am

gobruins wrote:

When I took delivery the stickers were still hovering around 82K... then that last gap closed rather quickly. :x I'm still enjoying my car though but my fingers are crossed that they'll renew. I don't have my plates yet so I can't even get in the hopeful queue.

gnocchi42

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:51 am

I went to a BMW dealer on Saturday (Sterling in Newport Beach) and they actually have a REX model with green sticker. I asked if it was "certified pre-owned" and he said "no, we order stickers for all the REX models as soon as they hit the lot". That very much surprised me for two reasons - one that this particular car has been on the lot for a looooong time, and two that they (this dealer) is smart enough and found out a way to deal with the fear of not having a green sticker for the REX.

gobruins

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:43 pm

gnocchi42 wrote:I went to a BMW dealer on Saturday (Sterling in Newport Beach) and they actually have a REX model with green sticker. I asked if it was "certified pre-owned" and he said "no, we order stickers for all the REX models as soon as they hit the lot". That very much surprised me for two reasons - one that this particular car has been on the lot for a looooong time, and two that they (this dealer) is smart enough and found out a way to deal with the fear of not having a green sticker for the REX.

That's what happened when I leased by Toyota RAV 4EV nearly 3 years ago. The stickers were there when I picked up the car.

I mentioned that to my salesperson and South Bay BMW (Redondo Beach) and he said they don't do it and said it can't be done. When I told him it could, he said he'd check on it. Having the stickers ready to go is a big deal, not just to make sure the car gets one because of limited allocation, but so the owner can go HOV right away.

gobruins

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:45 pm

gnocchi42 wrote:I went to a BMW dealer on Saturday (Sterling in Newport Beach) and they actually have a REX model with green sticker. I asked if it was "certified pre-owned" and he said "no, we order stickers for all the REX models as soon as they hit the lot". That very much surprised me for two reasons - one that this particular car has been on the lot for a looooong time, and two that they (this dealer) is smart enough and found out a way to deal with the fear of not having a green sticker for the REX.

I think that dealer might be pulling a fast one. According to my research and speaking to another dealer (Nick Alexander) the DMV did away with "pre-ordering" of the green stickers about a year ago. They will now only accept a check from the registered owner.

eneka

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:58 pm

gobruins wrote:

I think that dealer might be pulling a fast one. According to my research and speaking to another dealer (Nick Alexander) the DMV did away with "pre-ordering" of the green stickers about a year ago. They will now only accept a check from the registered owner.

FWIW my dealer applied for the sticker for me, I bought the car less than two weeks ago and they paid the $8 as well. The address and owner location was all the dealer's info. The car is leased if that changes anything. I know you can apply for them right after you register for the car and without a licence plate using the "DMV KSR". Not sure how they're doing it without registering it though.
2015 i3 rEX Arravani Grey giga, parking, tech, 20"

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”