BMW Lease Calculator

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleuiko

Hi All,

I just picked up my BMW i3 this weekend. It was my first lease and I had to do a lot of research to learn about how leasing works. As part of that, I made a Google Sheets calculator that was very helpful in getting a great deal. I am sharing it here in case it can be of help to those still looking! It is most suited for California but should be pretty adaptable generally. Enjoy!

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hp1j_uklSJBe3sa36SNS2jOv3tGqt9o76xNIz3U44sI/edit?usp=sharing

The file is read only, but go to the menu and choose "Make a Copy" for your own use!

bleuiko said:
Hi All,

I just picked up my BMW i3 this weekend. It was my first lease and I had to do a lot of research to learn about how leasing works. As part of that, I made a Google Sheets calculator that was very helpful in getting a great deal. I am sharing it here in case it can be of help to those still looking! It is most suited for California but should be pretty adaptable generally. Enjoy!

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hp1j_uklSJBe3sa36SNS2jOv3tGqt9o76xNIz3U44sI/edit?usp=sharing

The file is read only, but go to the menu and choose "Make a Copy" for your own use!

Does it matter to you that the DMV green stickers are all claimed and that there will need to be another allotment before any more are offered? For me, that caused an end to the negotiations with my dealer. I need that access.

gobruins said:
bleuiko said:
Hi All,

Does it matter to you that the DMV green stickers are all claimed and that there will need to be another allotment before any more are offered? For me, that caused an end to the negotiations with my dealer. I need that access.

Seriously??? Ughhh there was 2,000 of them left last week I check :( been waiting for my plates to come in and submit the paper work :(

eneka said:
gobruins said:
bleuiko said:
Hi All,

Seriously??? Ughhh there was 2,000 of them left last week I check :( been waiting for my plates to come in and submit the paper work :(

Looks that way:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

But I would bet they will extend it at least once more. Sales of plug-in hybrids would fall off a cliff if the green stickers are not extended. And with DMV still accepting applications (without payment), it would seem to indicate that they expect it to be extended, too.

Of course, if it doesn't, then sales of i3 REX would crumble... making deals even better :)

gobruins said:
bleuiko said:
Hi All,

When I took delivery the stickers were still hovering around 82K... then that last gap closed rather quickly. :x I'm still enjoying my car though but my fingers are crossed that they'll renew. I don't have my plates yet so I can't even get in the hopeful queue.

I went to a BMW dealer on Saturday (Sterling in Newport Beach) and they actually have a REX model with green sticker. I asked if it was "certified pre-owned" and he said "no, we order stickers for all the REX models as soon as they hit the lot". That very much surprised me for two reasons - one that this particular car has been on the lot for a looooong time, and two that they (this dealer) is smart enough and found out a way to deal with the fear of not having a green sticker for the REX.

gnocchi42 said:
I went to a BMW dealer on Saturday (Sterling in Newport Beach) and they actually have a REX model with green sticker. I asked if it was "certified pre-owned" and he said "no, we order stickers for all the REX models as soon as they hit the lot". That very much surprised me for two reasons - one that this particular car has been on the lot for a looooong time, and two that they (this dealer) is smart enough and found out a way to deal with the fear of not having a green sticker for the REX.

That's what happened when I leased by Toyota RAV 4EV nearly 3 years ago. The stickers were there when I picked up the car.

I mentioned that to my salesperson and South Bay BMW (Redondo Beach) and he said they don't do it and said it can't be done. When I told him it could, he said he'd check on it. Having the stickers ready to go is a big deal, not just to make sure the car gets one because of limited allocation, but so the owner can go HOV right away.

gnocchi42 said:

I think that dealer might be pulling a fast one. According to my research and speaking to another dealer (Nick Alexander) the DMV did away with "pre-ordering" of the green stickers about a year ago. They will now only accept a check from the registered owner.

gobruins said:
gnocchi42 said:

I think that dealer might be pulling a fast one. According to my research and speaking to another dealer (Nick Alexander) the DMV did away with "pre-ordering" of the green stickers about a year ago. They will now only accept a check from the registered owner.

FWIW my dealer applied for the sticker for me, I bought the car less than two weeks ago and they paid the $8 as well. The address and owner location was all the dealer's info. The car is leased if that changes anything. I know you can apply for them right after you register for the car and without a licence plate using the "DMV KSR". Not sure how they're doing it without registering it though.

Thank you so much for the great tool. Got the exact deal. I literally took it to dealers and asked them to match it.

cool thanks for this. I'm a total noob to leasing also. could you let me know what version of the i3 you got?

and if I understand your spreadsheet right: You paid $6064 down at the dealer and your monthly payments are $234 for 30 months?

Thanks

muddtt said:
cool thanks for this. I'm a total noob to leasing also. could you let me know what version of the i3 you got?

and if I understand your spreadsheet right: You paid $6064 down at the dealer and your monthly payments are $234 for 30 months?

Thanks

I leased a 2015 Laurel Gray i3 with Range Extender (REx) with Giga world interior and the Parking Assistance Package. This means that I opted out of the Tera world interior (full leather) and the Technology Package, as well as the Harman Kardon sound upgrade and the 20" wheel upgrade.

In terms of cost, I paid $6,066 out the door and my monthly payment is $143. After 60 days, I will get back $2,500 from CVRP rebate. At the end of my lease, I will be refunded the $1,050 security deposit (less $350 for fees). Those two money-back makes up for some of the cost of the ~$6K I paid out the door but the rest mostly will go to sales tax.

The $234/mo number is basically how much I truly expect to pay out of my pocket to enjoy this car after all is said and done at the end of my 30-mo lease. It isn't a monthly payment (that's the $143 above) but more of whether this is a good value.

Back