2016 model and Flexible Mobility Program and airports

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnocchi42

Hi all, I'm rather new to this board and just now in research mode to buying an i3. Moving from the Lexus CT200H - which after driving an i3 is not even competitive. The i3 is bigger, better and faster.

Question 1: Will there actually be a 2016 model i3? They aren't on the lots - and is it conceivable that they simply sell the 2015 inventory and go right to the 2017 model year - with a July 2016 release?

Question 2: Is there any list of BMW dealers that take part in the i3 Flexible mobility program? I know this has been discussed on this forum for close to a year but I'm still having a hard time finding any dealers that are advertising or guaranteeing that they participate in it. I'm in the Newport Beach (SoCal) area and test drove at Sterling BMW this weekend and the rep had no clue what it was and if they participate which means they don't.

Question 3: I travel quite a bit - I know LAX EV charging is hard to get, but that Park and Fly theoretically offers EVs charging. SNA (John Wayne) airport does not - which is crazy to me. What is best solution for LAX and SNA EV charging? (sorry- I know it is a very SoCal focused question)

Random Comments: Test drove i3 this weekend. It makes my CT200H look slow, and cramped. My 9 year old daughter was in the back seat during the test drive and loved the extra leg room, and the larger windows vs the CT200H. I really loved how the i3 drove.

1. 2016's are already being produced and are in the delivery pipeline. Its a 'short' production run and the 2017 model - with a reportedly larger battery capacity - will begin production in July 2016.
2. Best bet is to call the BMW iConcierge. There is no published list that I've ever seen. SoCal seems to have a few dealers that support this.
3. There is a guy (Steve Myung) in the Facebook group who is a pilot and flies out of LAX. He is posting all the time about the various options for parking and charging at LAX. You might want to join the Facebook group and pose the question to him.

There is an Excel file in the FB i3 page with some info about dealers participating in the FM program, here are the entries for SoCal:

California SoCal/El Cajon BMW of El Cajon Victoria, Trevor three 328i cars
California SoCal/Alhambra New Century BMW drop of on Friday and return on the following Monday. Not sure if they allow non-weekends or longer loans.
California SoCal/Encinitas BMW Encinitas
California SoCal/Irvine Irvine BMW "BMW is asking customers to rent a car, preferably through Enterprise. After your car rental, bring us your rental car receipt and BMW will reimburse you for 2 days of car rental." - Yi-Wen Ting, Sales Manager, Irvine BMW.
California SoCal/Santa Ana Crevier BMW
California SoCal/Riverside BMW of Riverside
California SoCal/North Hollywood "Century West BMW
(818) 432-9000" 3 series, 14 days per year, unlimited miles, not required to have purchased your car from them
California SoCal/Monrovia BMW of Monrovia

However, as suggested it's best to ask iConcierge as these might change.

When I bought my E46 at Crevier, they had a deal where you can just drop the car at the dealership and they'll shuttle you to SNA. Catch is that your flights need to be during business hours. I didn't take advantage of the deal as I lived in San Diego at the time. Something to check into, free parking/car wash might be a good thing.

Just wanted to update on the Flexible Mobility Program...

I called Alhambra New Century BMW today to see if I could get a car and they told me they don't participate in the program.
Maybe you can swing something with a salesperson if you bought your car from there? but I leased from BMW of Beverly Hills and had no luck.

Waiting to hear back from Monrovia.

andytseng said:
Just wanted to update on the Flexible Mobility Program...

I called Alhambra New Century BMW today to see if I could get a car and they told me they don't participate in the program.
Maybe you can swing something with a salesperson if you bought your car from there? but I leased from BMW of Beverly Hills and had no luck.

Waiting to hear back from Monrovia.

did you ever hear back from monrovia?

Things may have changed to make this program more palatable with the dealers, but as I understood it (originally), the loaner cars had to be dedicated to the I-program and not used for general loaner service, and if they were not out with customers a certain number of days/month, the dealer lost their corporate subsidy. Many dealerships found those requirements too risky and did not choose to join the program.

BMW has said they've (recently) changed the requirements, so maybe more dealerships will relook at the situation. It would also depend on how many i3's that dealership sold, to then get a feeling for how many cars it would need, and whether it was viable for them. Since many dealerships don't push the i3, their sales probably wouldn't justify dedicating loaner(s) to the program.

rtanov said:
There is an Excel file in the FB i3 page with some info about dealers participating in the FM program,...

However, as suggested it's best to ask iConcierge as these might change.

Where can I find that's excel file? Called iConcierge, they had no clue what I'm asking... they were like.. "what's Flexible Mobility Program?"

Sigh...

Back