Key differences: 2014 vs 2015 vs 2016

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnylingo

So, I think I'm gonna take the plunge on an i3. I'd need Giga trim + tech package minimum, and the HK speakers would be a nice bonus. I'm flexible on color, and BEV vs. Rex.

I've started mulling used vs. new and lease vs. lease-takeover. For used, there's a 2014 Rex here in town asking $28k, and a BEV San Jose at $24k. Both seem like fair deals, however, depreciation on these things is crazy ($400/month?) and for that amount I could just lease a 2016.

Before I even consider going the used route, what were the changes between model years? I know there were color changes in 2016 (basically one of the greys got replaced with black) but haven't been able to track down anything else in terms of hardware, just software updates.

The most significant change was making DC fast charging standard on 2015 and 2016 models instead of optional on the 2014 model. The software on any model can be updated to the current software version.

Other changes were minor (e.g., paint color options, side mirror cover color change, removal of some interior trim pieces like the padded wrist rest for the iDrive controller, removal of a small net cargo pocket, removal of some cargo straps). I doubt that any of these minor changes would be more important than the buying/leasing terms.

Thanks for the reply! I hadn't noticed the side mirror color change but now see they changed from body color to black starting with the 2016s. I personally prefer the former; gives it a "killer whale" look. But black does make the turn signal stand out better, so perhaps this was a safety decision.

There's several 2015 Rex models up here sitting on the lot. With the California green sticker program now expired and longer range announced for the 2017s, I think I can negotiate a great deal. We'll see how it goes.

johnnylingo said:
Thanks for the reply! I hadn't noticed the side mirror color change but now see they changed from body color to black starting with the 2016s. I personally prefer the former; gives it a "killer whale" look. But black does make the turn signal stand out better, so perhaps this was a safety decision.
This change happened with the 2015 model, not 2016. It makes it easy to differentiate the first year production models.

Only 2014 models have left and right side wheels that are different (i.e., they have different part numbers). After 2014, only one type of wheel is mounted on both sides. To me, this makes the wheels on one side look as if they are rotating backward (all i3 wheels except those included with the Mega trim in North America are asymmetric). Not a bid deal to many people, but it kind of bugs me. I have a 2014 Giga model, so my wheels are fine :)

alohart said:
Only 2014 models have left and right side wheels that are different (i.e., they have different part numbers). After 2014, only one type of wheel is mounted on both sides. To me, this makes the wheels on one side look as if they are rotating backward (all i3 wheels except those included with the Mega trim in North America are asymmetric). Not a bid deal to many people, but it kind of bugs me. I have a 2014 Giga model, so my wheels are fine :)
When my 2014 was in for repair, the tech reinstalled the wheels such that on the same side one was going one way and the other was reversed! Took me a while to notice, but they corrected it.

for me the rex is worthless - its a city car

for me dc fast charging is worthless - the novelty wore off - i always/ only level 1 charge in the garage

if they offer the lease pull ahead in ~6 months ...

i will trade for a giga or tera bev

and white - the color i really wanted

;)

Yeah I can't imaging myself using the REx often; there's enough fast chargers in Silicon Valley that'd rather hit them than try to climb Highway 17 on a motorcycle engine. That being said, eliminating range anxiety is more valuable to me than green stickers.

Plus, it seems impossible to find the BEV version right now. But the dealers seem eager to dump their 2015 RExes.

So DC fast charging added as standard on 2015 and 2016...
- how much to add it to 2014?

Then mirror color, wheel LvsR, and minor interior details are the only other differences?

When were new exterior colors added?
- Blue?
- Red?

Bigger battery in 2017?
Slight bumper refresh is 2018.

Anything else? I've been shopping!! :D

fritzner said:
So DC fast charging added as standard on 2015 and 2016...
- how much to add it to 2014?
It was a $700 option for the 2014 model, but the parts and labor costs to retrofit it would be considerably higher. I've never read of anyone retrofitting DCFC to a 2014 without it, so it's probably considered too expensive, or maybe BMW won't do it.
fritzner said:
Then mirror color, wheel LvsR, and minor interior details are the only other differences?
Yes.
fritzner said:
When were new exterior colors added?
- Blue?
fritzner said:
fritzner said:
Bigger battery in 2017?
Yes
fritzner said:
Slight bumper refresh is 2018.
Probably a bit more than that, but few 2018's have been available for a full assessment. The i3s model was added with a bit more power, wider tires, wider track, and other performance improvements.

Back