19" wheels vs. 20" wheels

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnylingo

Other than aesthetics, are there any advantages to the 20" wheels?

If read that if anything, the 20" wheels can be a practical disadvantage as they make for a stiffer ride with less shock absorbsion.

Nobody makes an all-season tire for the i3 in a 20" size, so if it gets cold, or you get snow or ice, you'll need a second set of tires and wheels - summer tire rubber gets very squirrely when it gets cold or there is snow and/or ice - the difference in stopping distance is substantial. While some people get by with the all-season tires, having the best one for the conditions can be safer.

IOW, the only tire available for the i3 in 20" is a summer, performance tire, not an all-season tire. Throw in any larger tire is more prone to damage on a road defect and is stiffer might be a deciding factor.

Being lower profile compared with the 19" tires and being summer rather than all-season tires, the 20" tires should handle a bit better on dry pavement.

I have the 20" wheels and I love the look, and the stiff ride is fine by me, but I must say that they are more fragile than the 19"-ers. I have had 2 strategically located punctures that, according to multiple tire shops, were unrepairable due to the short sidewalls, so both times had to be replaced, ouch!

As per above, I also have the 20's due to its look compare to the other options available.

Yes, the ride is stiffer, but it's not bone shattering stiff.

I do find myself being more careful around the curbs with these wheels due to its low profile. Not a lot for margin of error. Parallel parking can be very nerve-racking.

I do find the tires not very grippy though. Even on dry pavement if you step on the pedal, and especially across train tracks.

Back