Took the plunge

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OWG

Went in to the dealer yesterday to put in my order for 2017 i3 Rex.

Specs are:

2017 i3Rex
Fluid Black
Premium and Tech packages (Dalbergia leather)
Sunroof option
20" wheels

Surprising part is I was able to walk out the door with a total sales price of $54624 CAD. I was planning to argue the $2K increase vs $1400 on BEV, but it appears it was not relevant. I have to go through the details again, but maybe they missed something?? Quick look at the purchase paperwork has all options listed and accounted for...I was able to negotiate a 4% discount, but it seems more than that based upon the bottom line.

Anyways, finance manager signed off on the deal and they took my deposit. So now I wait... Estimated delivery is late Sept/early Oct.

SSi3 said:
Congrats!

Where in Canada are you?

Thanks! I am pretty excited for the car. Normally my summer seems to fly past, hopefully this wait has the side effect of prolonging summer! :) I am in Ontario, like you.

Question, for winter tires, what have you done? I was looking at TireRack and see a wheel and tire package for 2015Rex that should be a perfect fit.

Congratulations ! :)

And good luck ^^ The wait will be extra long.... I only have to wait like 2 months for mine (2016 REx - Black Edition) and have now approx one month to wait...it is killing me.

Brice said:

And good luck ^^ The wait will be extra long.... I only have to wait like 2 months for mine (2016 REx - Black Edition) and have now approx one month to wait...it is killing me.

Wow, are the 2016's in that much demand in EU? There were 3 sitting on the lot here in Toronto.

OWG said:
Brice said:

Wow, are the 2016's in that much demand in EU? There were 3 sitting on the lot here in Toronto.

It's not a question of having demand or not. If you order a vehicule, a new one, with personalized options/packages, you have to build it from scratch and there was always a queue between 3 to 4 months to get one until last fall when people finally managed to get it after "only" approx 2 months of queue.

FYI: I ordered a REx, shadow black (pack Urban Life), "Lodge" inside (Whool/leither), Nav Pro (the big screen), Harman Kardon, with tinted glass.

If I wanted the open roof option, there was an extra month of delay to get it.

OWG said:
SSi3 said:
Congrats!

Where in Canada are you?

Thanks! I am pretty excited for the car. Normally my summer seems to fly past, hopefully this wait has the side effect of prolonging summer! :) I am in Ontario, like you.

Question, for winter tires, what have you done? I was looking at TireRack and see a wheel and tire package for 2015Rex that should be a perfect fit.

Yay another Ontarian!

As for winter wheels/tires, I just bought the package from the dealer, a set of 427 wheels and Blizzaks, mounted and balanced, just took them home and swap them myself. I considered tirerack but when I needed the winters (last fall) our dollar was so bad against the USD that it didn't make much difference to ship from tirerack or buy from the dealer.

Did the same on Friday. :D
Don't know a delivery time yet. Seems to be late August 2016.
My version is 2017 94Ah battery, no REx. In Poland BMW charged me extra 2500 EUR for charging package which allows to fast charging from AC stations and DC charging. I have a photovoltaic panels under construction on my roof and I am wondering, if there is a technical possibility to charge i3 directly form the sun? Maybe with Tesla Powerwall option in the nearest future. How do you think?

Congrats again,
Seems like you got a great deal. at $54k that seems like 5k less than MSRP for a 2016 similarly speced car that wouldn't have a sunroof. They seem awfully confused there though. I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago, curious about their two CPO 2014 i3's and they were trying to sell them for more than their 'new' 2015's (at least when incentives are taken into consideration). They seem to be working on the assumption that once they clear out the 15's with all of the big discounts that the used 2014's will somehow appreciate in value! Oh well, I already have a reservation for the Tesla 3, but I would've happily bought the i3 if the price was right.

OWG said:
I haven't priced them since I bought my car over 2-years ago, but at the time, buying the OEM package from the dealer was less expensive than buying them from TireRack. I don't think that the Canadian i3's use the TPMS we have in the US, so that should save about $200+ over those for US cars.

There are two companies that I've found that make winter tires that fit the i3: Bridgestone (actually they make two different ones, but we only get one of them in NA) and Nokian, their R2, which is a really neat tire. I'd try to price both, and if nearly the same, I'd go with the R2. If I still own my i3 when they need to be replaced, I will probably buy those, but who knows what will be available in the future. List price on the R2 is higher, but from what people have said, they are often available at about the same street prices.

kzod said:
Congrats again,
Seems like you got a great deal. at $54k that seems like 5k less than MSRP for a 2016 similarly speced car that wouldn't have a sunroof. They seem awfully confused there though. I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago, curious about their two CPO 2014 i3's and they were trying to sell them for more than their 'new' 2015's (at least when incentives are taken into consideration). They seem to be working on the assumption that once they clear out the 15's with all of the big discounts that the used 2014's will somehow appreciate in value! Oh well, I already have a reservation for the Tesla 3, but I would've happily bought the i3 if the price was right.
Yep, I thought the same thing. The total MSRP was just $850 more than the pricing I got on the 2015 back in March, but included 20's and sunroof. I have the deal in writing, fully signed from the finance manager and a $2K deposit made. Not sure they can go back on that even if there was an error on their part.

I ordered a White Rex 2017 yesterday.

Spec -
Suite Interior
Sport Pack (HK Stereo/LED Lights/19" Turbine wheels/Privacy glass)
Park assist
Drive assist
Pro Nav

Very excited - going to be a long summer as don't expect delivery until September.

harty601 said:
I ordered a White Rex 2017 yesterday.

Spec -
Suite Interior
Sport Pack (HK Stereo/LED Lights/19" Turbine wheels/Privacy glass)
Park assist
Drive assist
Pro Nav

Very excited - going to be a long summer as don't expect delivery until September.

Congrats to you!

I decided that it is much better to have a long wait over summer than a long wait over the winter. :D

OWG said:

Specs are:

2017 i3Rex
Fluid Black
Sunroof option
20" wheels

Surprising part is I was able to walk out the door with a total sales price of $54624 CAD. I was planning to argue the $2K increase vs $1400 on BEV, but it appears it was not relevant. I have to go through the details again, but maybe they missed something?? Quick look at the purchase paperwork has all options listed and accounted for...I was able to negotiate a 4% discount, but it seems more than that based upon the bottom line.

Anyways, finance manager signed off on the deal and they took my deposit. So now I wait... Estimated delivery is late Sept/early Oct.

So I figured it out. The dealer put the price of the BEV ($46,900) on the REX (IZ83 - i3 Range Extender). Again, the finance manager signed the offer to purchase, I signed and they took a $2k deposit. I don't think they can go back on this now can they?

OWG said:
OWG said:

Specs are:

2017 i3Rex
Fluid Black
Sunroof option
20" wheels

So I figured it out. The dealer put the price of the BEV ($46,900) on the REX (IZ83 - i3 Range Extender). Again, the finance manager signed the offer to purchase, I signed and they took a $2k deposit. I don't think they can go back on this now can they?

Ah, crazy. I wonder what they'll do. I guess they haven't said anything to you yet?

Drove the i3 this morning (first time driving an EV) and man was that fun. I was amazed by the acceleration and how easily you could do a lot of stop and go driving while just using the accelerator. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a 2017 this week. Thinking BEV, Lodge interior, premium + tech packages & sunroof. I was originally set on platinum grey but my wife says I should go with the protonic blue.

Back